Electrician Talk banner

Servicing a Fluke t5-600/1000 sealed case

15846 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Wardenclyffe
Hi, I have to service and probably replace a pot on a Fluke t5-1000 meter.
I can not for the life of me figure out how to open her up without a hammer.
Has anybody had any experience opening up one of these? the case seems to be sealed.

Voltage is fine, current is fine, resistance needs calibration but the potentiometer is not working so I need to get in there and see what's going on.

TIA
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,061 Posts
Thanks for your reply, it would be cheaper to replace. Besides I am the guy whom you would send it in for a service anyway
That's scary, with all due respect you are asking how to open the case....

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ingress Protection

Ok so a little more analysis of trying to open it up has led me to find out that this unit has an Ingress Protection of 52 (Dust and somewhat water proof).

I believe I can not open it up without breaking the case seal. The meter looks like it has have heavy use over the years.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hiding stickers under screws.

That is true, I'll have another look but it seems like it is one of those products that when it is commissioned they permanently seal it because this particular unit is waterproof. There is no replaceable fuse. The leads and batteries have their own detachable sections.

The current, voltage and resistance can be calibrated too.

· Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody had any experience opening up one of these? the case seems to be sealed.

Voltage is fine, current is fine, resistance needs calibration but the potentiometer is not working so I need to get in there and see what's going on.

TIA

Voltage is fine, current is fine, resistance needs calibration but the potentiometer is not working so I need to get in there and see what's going on

TIA
With a T5-600, if you remove the three Phillips screws visible on the back of meter, and then gently pry around the seam where front and back join, it will come apart. There is no other seal or sealant holding it..
at least not in the T5-600 I’ve had, and it’s never been opened before.

· Registered
1 Posts
With a T5-600, if you remove the three Phillips screws visible on the back of meter, and then gently pry around the seam where front and back join, it will come apart. There is no other seal or sealant holding it..
at least not in the T5-600 I’ve had, and it’s never been opened before.
Thanx, it was really that easy. After cleaning the batterycontacts, it worked as marvelously as before. Happy New Year

1 - 18 of 18 Posts