Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody do service work for dollar generals, dollar trees, or family dollars? There are more in this town than I can count, seems like one on every corner. Looks like a regular flow of work to me.

How does one go about being an EC to service these stores? Anybody have any experience with them?

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Does anybody do service work for dollar generals, dollar trees, or family dollars? There are more in this town than I can count, seems like one on every corner. Looks like a regular flow of work to me.

How does one go about being an EC to service these stores? Anybody have any experience with them?
I think those kind of chains tell you how much they will pay you for things like ballast changes..

Years ago I got a call from the local K-mart about doing their service work... they sent me a price list.. :blink::blink:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think those kind of chains tell you how much they will pay you for things like ballast changes..

Years ago I got a call from the local K-mart about doing their service work... they sent me a price list.. :blink::blink:
I am familiar with the "price list", I used to be a sub for Sears and I was a registered sub for an outfit that did McDonald's, footlockers, and BK's.

The whole thing with their price sheet is IF you can make money off what the are willing to pay or not. Sears I could, McDonald's I couldn't.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,308 Posts
I put in some ceiling receptacles for Dollar Stores but it was through another company that they pay annually for electrical/phone/alarm/computer.

This company has a price list. I won't take any work from them if I can't make anything on them.

To sum it up, I've turned down a ton more than I have taken!

I don't think any of the Dollar stores (or any of those type stores) hires anyone on their own locally. It's all done through their corporate.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Dollar stores , Family Dollar, FedEx, Friendly's , etc all use national trade pimps

They all call you, give you an NTE, you log in/out on site , so you get zero travel time, are held to a minimal markup on any high $$$ materials, need to forward extraneous paperwork along with updated insurance vouchers, will be told what levels of insurance and/or safety credentials are qualifiers , and will wait 90 days for a check, and in many cases be told your paperwork is holding it all up.

Along with the above, you'll arrive to jobs an hour or so away ,with managers b*tching that they have been waiting for service for XXX days or weeks, while the local ph book is lousy with viable contestants.

The entire modus operandi of national trade pimps is simply to appease the corporate bean counters by providing what appears subjugation, although it is easily to circumvent utilizing their own doctrine.

Anecdotally, i once changed what was an easy relamping job @ 15' off grade in front of one store to a manlift, cordon off area, helper to watch and guide public into the store under the guise of safety concerns

Yes , it's all an extremely disingenuous and over scrutinized game , no you'll never get ahead doing it

~CS~

·
Registered
13 Posts

I know in Alabama a company named rogers electric out of georgia has three techs that handle the southeast.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
30,896 Posts
Collusion. Not to be confused with Holder.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have received calls from a couple large corporations and they are usually in a big hurry and don't want to pay a fair price.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Best Buy contacted us about bidding to do their service work. There was a fee we had to pay to them to become one of their candidates.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Don't do it. Go for individual people and small businesses, thats where the cash and respect are hiding. Large corporations are a gamble and some are willing to pay you next to theft for the job. I agree with chicken Steve. Something as simple as a relamp becomes complicated. And more often than not new construction is a pain to do because its in a rush and second your to follow the prints as they are written which often is not in your benefit because those who draw them up have never left an office.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Best Buy contacted us about bidding to do their service work. There was a fee we had to pay to them to become one of their candidates.
:laughing:

That's a game to get you to cough up money. They promise 1000 other guys well paying job security, then give to the one whos willing to do it for near free.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
We work for the company that takes care of Dollar General Stores if you are starting out with them make sure and send a W-4 with your invoice. It will be 45 days for your payment. They never answer their phone it will go to voice mail and they will call in a day or two. The DNE is not the price they will pay we use it for getting us to the store then we call for an increase and they approve it. Your liability needs to be three million .

·
Senile Member
30,896 Posts
We work for the company that takes care of Dollar General Stores if you are starting out with them make sure and send a W-4 with your invoice. It will be 45 days for your payment. They never answer their phone it will go to voice mail and they will call in a day or two. The DNE is not the price they will pay we use it for getting us to the store then we call for an increase and they approve it. Your liability needs to be three million .

So do you also wait at the store two or three days to get the upgrade answer? You know, since they never answer their phone? Are you writing this from jail? Have you been in there a long time?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
So do you also wait at the store two or three days to get the upgrade answer? You know, since they never answer their phone? Are you writing this from jail? Have you been in there a long time?
it is two different numbers the check in number gets answered the accounts payable goes to voice mail. I forgot some of you have never worked for national maintenance companies.

·
Senile Member
30,896 Posts
Expected mythical response.

·
Banned
2 Posts
The .... concept has become a popular one, driven by the slowly-recovering economy. These shops are increasing. If one shop's new strategy for luring in consumers catches on, we may all soon be having our prescriptions filled there, too.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
The National Pimp concept is growing as well.

Inasmuch as they vet us down to our socks, there's no accountability for these alleged bastions of trade integrity (or should i say they can buy it from the BBB?)

They themselves , have a history of name changes, acquisitions, voluntary bankruptcy, hostile takeovers , etc.

Know that, you'll be under contractual agreement with them, which may include payment for your services jeopardized under any of these circumstances

Anecdotally, the last DS call we had was an individual posing as 'DS maintenance' , luring us in via CC

When we arrived, we found he was in fact the 'new pimp', for the DS, because the last one went one of the routes mentioned above

This individual , once he made sure we were on site, then went into a litany of NTE's , as well as company policy dictates OVER THE PHONE

Knowing I had been scammed, i informed him any contractuals we engage in are absolutely NOT going to be negotiated on the spot, and gave him the choice of forwarding his CC for the call , or us walking out

Because he DID NOT have the authority to utilize a CC , we walked out.

This is how these people roll....these are to be read with attention to detail before committing either verbally or not

~CS~

1 - 20 of 21 Posts