Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to here and I was looking for some suggestions. I'm setting up an AB micrologix 1000 (16 I/O, 24 vdc) trainer and I was looking to make it more interesting. My previous set ups were simple toggle switches as inputs and led's as the outputs. Any suggestions on how to "liven" it up for the people I will be teaching?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to here and I was looking for some suggestions. I'm setting up an AB micrologix 1000 (16 I/O, 24 vdc) trainer and I was looking to make it more interesting. My previous set ups were simple toggle switches as inputs and led's as the outputs. Any suggestions on how to "liven" it up for the people I will be teaching?
Merry Christmas , and Welcome to the forum.....:thumbsup::)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Welcome aboard Jessie.

When I found out an electrical class was going to teach was filled with HVAC folks I tailored the class to their needs.

I blew the dust off the HVAC simulator, the JC had stored away, started using their terms and devices and taught what they would need.

It worked well and I run into them in the field all the time.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,315 Posts
Hook up a bunch of otherwise battery operated massage devices to it. That will keep em entertained.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Your teaching and your asking that question ?
You have no idea what it takes to present a lecture, JMO...

I'll bet you never speak in public or instructed anything for any length of time.
You could join your local Toastmaster Club is you want to learn to speak in public.

I would like for you to teach any subject for 1 hour a day for a week, and you will see how much material you WILL need to project your subject matter much less enterain someone!

You will be on the internet, searching multiply libraries, marking multiply books with post-it's, for crib-notes. Reading, then researching the readings...
Then preparing, your lecture notes, maybe some over head slides, checking
your notes, checking your math if you will present any. Then preparing for distrubition what hand outs or even counting the books that will be given away.

Then if your a good presentor, with voice and maybe with slight of hand you can gain and grasp an audience's attention.

The first minute you either have the crowd, or one does not.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
You have no idea what it takes to present a lecture, JMO...

I'll bet you never speak in public or instructed anything for any length of time.
You could join your local Toastmaster Club is you want to learn to speak in public.

I would like for you to teach any subject for 1 hour a day for a week, and you will see how much material you WILL need to project your subject matter much less enterain someone!

You will be on the internet, searching multiply libraries, marking multiply books with post-it's, for crib-notes. Reading, then researching the readings...
Then preparing, your lecture notes, maybe some over head slides, checking
your notes, checking your math if you will present any. Then preparing for distrubition what hand outs or even counting the books that will be given away.

Then if your a good presentor, with voice and maybe with slight of hand you can gain and grasp an audience's attention.

The first minute you either have the crowd, or one does not.
Hmmm... PLC training is about teaching logic, and the inputs and outputs are the least important on the list.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
use some thermostats and small fans
once you have your program written and tested you can go online with it to show them how the program interacts with the signals and outputs.
you can also demonstrate the use of timers this way.

leds serve a function but to let the project hit home set up and use relays to control larger loads (light bulbs, fan, etc)
this will provide them with a real world approach.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
As to ideas on the Inputs, I used a bunch of different photo prox switches aimed in different directions on one I just did. You wave your hand to activate them. People seem to like that. I have a linear thruster as an output on one, I'm hooking it up to a small door on a track in front of a motor to simulate a controlled access. So you will wave your hand over the photo prox and the door slides open. I just got an alarm horn that lets you load your own MP3 files into it, I'm going to program it next week with the sound effect from the original Star Trek for the doors opening and tie it to the output that operates the thruster.

Mind you, I have a different budget for crap like this than most people... I get to just call it "sales samples".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.