Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week at one of our plants a machinist and electrician were troubleshooting a transfer fed press and failed to follow LOTO. The machinist went inside the interlocked gate then closed it behind him, and the press was restarted by the electrician and placed in Auto mode. After a part failed to properly nest in one of the stations, the machinist reached in to re-seat the part causing the part-present sensor to read and the press to automatically fire while his hand was in the point of operation. Not a lot of details on his condition yet, but it doesn’t sound good...

This unfortunate incident should serve as a reminder to us all. While safety policies may make things inconvenient and slow us down there is an important reason for them.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
This past week at one of our plants a machinist and electrician were troubleshooting a transfer fed press and failed to follow LOTO. The machinist went inside the interlocked gate then closed it behind him, and the press was restarted by the electrician and placed in Auto mode. After a part failed to properly nest in one of the stations, the machinist reached in to re-seat the part causing the part-present sensor to read and the press to automatically fire while his hand was in the point of operation. Not a lot of details on his condition yet, but it doesn’t sound good...

This unfortunate incident should serve as a reminder to us all. While safety policies may make things inconvenient and slow us down there is an important reason for them.

Horrible! :(

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts

Everything about this is wring. Doesn't this go against every safety plan, meeting and procedure you industrial guys talk about?
If this were merely an inconvenience or minor financial setback I'd say he's on his own. I don't want to have to pay for his stupidity.
Unfortunately, things like this are not minor, he needs to get this taken care of, which will wind up being mega $$$. Even more unfortunately WE all ultimately have to pay for his mistake.

I sincerely hope he does not lose the hand, or worse.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Just Curious !

S .P. what was Dr. Strangelove's illness ?

Does anyone know ?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
that's why we have lock out tag out policies, just why do we ignore them?i know some times we have to leave a machine on to do work . but we always should use extra caution.hopefully his injury is not to severe. i know the ones i use to work around weren't forgiving at all.let's all work safe & go home to our familys the way we left that day. whether it is electrical or other forms of energy!:)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are you guys giving for hands? We give 10000 for a finger
It’s something like that for a finger; I think it depends on how much of the finger is lost. Not sure what hand goes for.

Everything about this is wring. Doesn't this go against every safety plan, meeting and procedure you industrial guys talk about? If this were merely an inconvenience or minor financial setback I'd say he's on his own. I don't want to have to pay for his stupidity.
Unfortunately, things like this are not minor, he needs to get this taken care of, which will wind up being mega $$$. Even more unfortunately WE all ultimately have to pay for his mistake. I sincerely hope he does not lose the hand, or worse.
Yes very, very wrong; complete failure of LOTO. Unfortunately anytime an employee is injured, even if totally their own fault, it will cost the employer.

that's why we have lock out tag out policies, just why do we ignore them? i know some times we have to leave a machine on to do work . but we always should use extra caution. hopefully his injury is not to severe. i know the ones i use to work around weren't forgiving at all. let's all work safe & go home to our familys the way we left that day. whether it is electrical or other forms of energy!:)
Very true! However, no part of the body should ever enter the point or plane of operation while troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It’s something like that for a finger; I think it depends on how much of the finger is lost. Not sure what hand goes for.

Yes very, very wrong; complete failure of LOTO. Unfortunately anytime an employee is injured, even if totally their own fault, it will cost the employer.

Very true! However, no part of the body should ever enter the point or plane of operation while troubleshooting.
exactly! use a board or stick, when we worked on our presses at work , we had a block to put in between the ram & bed. this reduced the possibility of something happening.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
lockout procedures are there for a reason.
simply put why did he not follow the procedures
second closing an interlock while inside the barrier is putting yourself in the line of fire.

regardless of what industries want you cannot eliminate every accident but you can lower the frequency of them by identifying possible safety issues and taking preventative measures.
failing to follow procedure is a human error (complacency)
the darwin equation at its finest!

whenever i go into an interlocked zone I also apply my spare lock to the door frame so it cannot be closed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts