Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of work with mechanical contractors and there's a certain few who will purposefully drag their feet on a mutual project until I get my strut down or my rack/trapeze up and once it's in place they go running their pipes on it along mine. I'm fine with sharing strut space with process and mechanical piping, we're all working towards a common goal. But it seems like I'm saving these guys a ton of time and money by doing all the ground work on the racks, it kinda pisses me off. A lot of these outside guys have labor contracts so I can't say that it's really that big of a deal but I'm wondering how some of you guys handle this when you're working from a bid

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Accidentally cut one of thier pipes while working on something of yours on the same rack. After awhile they may decide it costs too much to install piping on your rack.:laughing:

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
I do a lot of work with mechanical contractors and there's a certain few who will purposefully drag their feet on a mutual project until I get my strut down or my rack/trapeze up and once it's in place they go running their pipes on it along mine. I'm fine with sharing strut space with process and mechanical piping, we're all working towards a common goal. But it seems like I'm saving these guys a ton of time and money by doing all the ground work on the racks, it kinda pisses me off. A lot of these outside guys have labor contracts so I can't say that it's really that big of a deal but I'm wondering how some of you guys handle this when you're working from a bid
Tell them they cannot run on your strut.

We used to have security guys and building controls guys run on our tray and catenary wires all the time at the gravy stroke, I put an end to that.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rollie73 said:
Accidentally cut one of thier pipes while working on something of yours on the same rack. After awhile they may decide it costs too much to install piping on your rack.:laughing:
I hear ya. But honestly we have a good working relationship with these guys, their work is top notch and always on time. It just irks me when I spend a day laying out my project and the second the rack is up everyone else starts. Every project we do takes almost all the trades- power, water, air, oil, fuel. So anybody could build the rack

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
I always make our mechanical guys do the strut and supporting steel. But they work for me.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I hear ya. But honestly we have a good working relationship with these guys, their work is top notch and always on time. It just irks me when I spend a day laying out my project and the second the rack is up everyone else starts. Every project we do takes almost all the trades- power, water, air, oil, fuel. So anybody could build the rack
I know where you are coming from. I've been on jobs where this has occured frequently. Have a chat with the guys and tell them you're on to this trick and that they get to build it the next few times.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
If it's in your bid, who cares?

You know what I wouldn't like even more? The other trades building a rack right where I was planning to run and then completely filling it. Or, just running their pipe in such a way that if I ran on the rack I'd have to 3 point/kick over a bunch of their stuff every time they 90 off the rack, etc.

I like straight as possible pipe runs. If that means building my rack first so I can run the pipe the way I want too, I'm cool with that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ive always been told we come second fiddle to mechanical guys, and they have to put there stuff in first. Unless its been planned for where everything goes, on the prints.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Maybe ask them to split the cost of materials with you.

Is there anything you do that inconveniences them that they let slide? Give and take.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
But it usually is you, right? Ask at the end of your current project " who is going to install the strut racks on the next project? I don't have it in my price." This might open some eyes. What would happen if you asked for some $$ to buy the strut and rod?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Make them build their own crap.. since when did you believe in sharing, getting along and doing things for others?

Every man for themselves! Cut their shít off your hardware and tell them where to stick it!

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Tell them you typically build your rack larger for your own convenience in the future. Offer to build the rack a foot longer if they split the cost of materials. If they won't play ball, tell them to build their own.

The cost of building a rack to support conduits should have been in both of your prices. If it isn't in theirs, they have an unfair advantage. If it is, it's not fair that they get to reap all the benefits of your work.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I catch them as they start running on mine and tell them they are gonna get charged if they want to use it. In my experience I only charge them a fraction of what it would cost them to do it. They usually pay it. But for us its just icing on the cake cause it was all in my bid.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies. To clarify- I'm in house so my work is irrelevant. I work hand in hand with other company guys and outside contractors. We all work together to finish a project and spend plenty of time planning. it's commonplace to have multiple utilities on one rack, it's planned that way. It seems to me that a contractor could save a bunch of money by skipping out on the rack building and it could become an issue on future expansions that are all bid

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I don't think it would bother me as long as I didn't hold me up for a second. Most control guys are only half electricians, they can barely bend pipe yet alone build a nice rack.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts