Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im a self taught “electrician” so i know little to nothing, have a pretty good understanding of residential electricity, if quizzed some friends that have much more experience and still can’t narrow down my issue……Full description- I live in the woods approximately 600’ from the road , we have over head services . The transformer is on the last pole on my property only about 40 feet from meter. 200a service , meeter is backed up to main breaker panel only 3 feet of wire between meter and panel. I have replaced complete 200a main breaker panel and all breakers, service entrance wire between panel and meter, ground rod , ground wire…..

For almost a year all things grounded will shock me slightly (more of a static buzz) if i touch while barefoot or (when im grounded myself)….. first thing i noticed prior to replacing/or testing anything,i was barefoot and touched our outdoor propane tank hooked to our stove and got a buz …checked all connections and found no issues . Pounded a ground rod in next to tank and bonded tank and no longer got (shocked) , then i touched the water in my koi pond while kneeling on the dirt in my shorts (same buz separate circuit) tested with multi-meter from earth to pond water and got 20-30v added a ground rod and bonded to koi pond and voltage went away , went back to propane tank and unbounded and tested with same 20-30v , tested outdoor hose spigot to earth …same result , touched water in my hot tub while standing barefoot in lawn and same buz … I pulled meter and tested from each lug to earth one lug read 150v the other 90v… tbought to myself bad neutral overhead ,i called the power company and had the lineman out last night (they were out until 2 am. They replaced the guide wire that was on the pole loose and touching transformer, they also put a jumper on the service drop neutral because the previous overhead neutral connection was poor and they did not have the proper connector on the truck.After they tested from each leg to the neutral and got 120 on each and were satisfied with the repair… i did not get into details or ask questions it was 2 am.After returning from work this afternoon i still got shocked when touching grounded object and earth in any location around house like i said before about 20-30v on multi meter. I then replaced entire main panel ,service entrance , main ground wire and main ground rod .Still getting shocked ………..I could simply satisfy each location that shocks me by bonding and pounding a ground rod in but obviously there is something im missing.
 

·
Registered
Wisconsin licensed master electrician and general contractor
Joined
·
243 Posts
Hi guys, im a self taught “electrician” so i know little to nothing, have a pretty good understanding of residential electricity, if quizzed some friends that have much more experience and still can’t narrow down my issue……Full description- I live in the woods approximately 600’ from the road , we have over head services . The transformer is on the last pole on my property only about 40 feet from meter. 200a service , meeter is backed up to main breaker panel only 3 feet of wire between meter and panel. I have replaced complete 200a main breaker panel and all breakers, service entrance wire between panel and meter, ground rod , ground wire…..

For almost a year all things grounded will shock me slightly (more of a static buzz) if i touch while barefoot or (when im grounded myself)….. first thing i noticed prior to replacing/or testing anything,i was barefoot and touched our outdoor propane tank hooked to our stove and got a buz …checked all connections and found no issues . Pounded a ground rod in next to tank and bonded tank and no longer got (shocked) , then i touched the water in my koi pond while kneeling on the dirt in my shorts (same buz separate circuit) tested with multi-meter from earth to pond water and got 20-30v added a ground rod and bonded to koi pond and voltage went away , went back to propane tank and unbounded and tested with same 20-30v , tested outdoor hose spigot to earth …same result , touched water in my hot tub while standing barefoot in lawn and same buz … I pulled meter and tested from each lug to earth one lug read 150v the other 90v… tbought to myself bad neutral overhead ,i called the power company and had the lineman out last night (they were out until 2 am. They replaced the guide wire that was on the pole loose and touching transformer, they also put a jumper on the service drop neutral because the previous overhead neutral connection was poor and they did not have the proper connector on the truck.After they tested from each leg to the neutral and got 120 on each and were satisfied with the repair… i did not get into details or ask questions it was 2 am.After returning from work this afternoon i still got shocked when touching grounded object and earth in any location around house like i said before about 20-30v on multi meter. I then replaced entire main panel ,service entrance , main ground wire and main ground rod .Still getting shocked ………..I could simply satisfy each location that shocks me by bonding and pounding a ground rod in but obviously there is something im missing.
You should definitely hire a licensed master electrician to look over your system. Too much at stake my friend.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Call the power company. Most likely they have a transformer leaking voltage to ground, or you have an open neutral.
 

·
Administrator
Retired EC
Joined
·
23,665 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top