Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy if mine just added an indoor pool with a hot tub with a water fall that falls into the pool. When the waterfall is not falling from the hot tub into the pool and your in either the pool or hot tub and stick your hand into the other you get a light shocking feeling that is constant. I wired the house but had nothing to do with the pool, the pool supplier supposedly had their electrician wire it. The pool has a couple wet niches with deck boxes that all seem fine and meet code. The pool controller requires 100amp 240v single phase and is not GFCI protected. Inside this controller is a PLC and another sub panel feeding all the pumps, electric heater, lights, and all the sensors. None of breakers in this panel are gfci protected either. As far as I know you can only buy GFCI breakers for up to 60 amps and I would need either a 100 or an 80 and a whole bunch of 15's and 20's. My question is how do I GFCI protect the pool properly, and most likely if there is a problem which is creating the shock it would just trip the GFCI breaker and I still have the fault to take care of. Here are some pics of the pool and controller.

Attachments

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I once put 3 phases of a pool motor thru one of these>

had it arranged to drop the coil out.....

~CS~

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
this is just a side note, but I don't see how the hot tub and pool could be bonded properly (equipotential plane) and have this shock occurring.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,246 Posts
Shut off all the power to the pool as well as the main breaker to the house. If the shock still exists, the problem is due to stray voltage from the utility's multi grounded neutral.
Tingle voltage is a PITA to fix.
My farm, I had 5 ground rods on the services, 1 at the yard pole, Hydro had 3 on the 1000 feet of line coming down the road, and I still had 5 volts to ground on my satellite cable ( 10 ft dish on a 4 in steel pipe)

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,246 Posts
If you have to GFCI the entire feed, then you will have to use one of these

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wildleg said:
this is just a side note, but I don't see how the hot tub and pool could be bonded properly (equipotential plane) and have this shock occurring.
I agree, besides the motor on both the hot tub and the pool everything else is plastic or PVC poured in concrete to form them so there is nothing to bond. In reading the code book a little more they mention voltage leakage collectors, has anyone seen, installed, or exactly know if something like this would work?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Kunolop said:
I agree, besides the motor on both the hot tub and the pool everything else is plastic or PVC poured in concrete to form them so there is nothing to bond. In reading the code book a little more they mention voltage leakage collectors, has anyone seen, installed, or exactly know if something like this would work?
Is there any rebar to bond to? Even still the bond wire should be in the ground around the entire pool and spa.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,053 Posts
Has your buddy had the pool guys electrician come back? Since it was not your install it shouldn't be your issue.
It may not be his issue but he may be able to help solve the problem for his customer. This goes a long way

Reactions: flyboy

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
It may not be his issue but he may be able to help solve the problem for his customer. This goes a long way
Yeah, like possibly saving someones life?

It wouldn't matter to me who's problem it was or whether I was getting paid or not to fix the problem; I wouldn't let anyone swim in that pool until the problem was resolved.

...must be the electrician or maybe the fireman in me, not sure which...maybe both.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
...must be the electrician or maybe the fireman in me, not sure which...maybe both.
neither. It's the fly. yeah, that's it, the fly.

·
Broke
177 Posts
There is always something to bond. Sounds like either the decking or the water is not bonded.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, I'm really just helping out a friend and appreciate the help. I'm going to install voltage leakage collectors as they seem to help and gfci the entire system so it's safe to use and go from there. I haven't figured out how exactly I'm going to gfci protect it, I'm looking into what Wcord recommended and I talked to my GE rep and recommended the following;

Only problem this item is worth 4k to buy!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts