Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apprentice at a small shop. Came in to work today and was sent home. boss said things were slow. There are maybe 5 apprentices, and I don't think any of them went home today. Not sure if I should be concerned about the situation.

Is it common for an apprentice to get a day off when things are slow?

·
Estwing magic
27,400 Posts
Unless you got rained out or your boss got a last minute phone call of a delayed job start, there isn't a good reason to send a guy home after he has already arrived at work. Doesn't he have to pay you a few hours just for showing up anyway?

I can relate it to when I was an apprentice. I was having a great time working with good guys but there were rumors that the company was having financial problems. I decided to look around and found another job. Two months later my previous employer went bankrupt. It was a good thing for me. I left residential, got into commercial and eventually went industrial. I got lots of different experience by working for different contractors.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Here it is 3 hours.

You should be concerned, make sure you're doing your best each day and do not be afraid to ask if there are ways to improve, just watch out for abusive behavior such as your too slow when you know you are getting just as much done as the next guy, do not be afraid to look for a better job as well, if your boss is not keeping you busy , it is either he is a poor manager, or, he does not like you or is abusive to all of his guys.

Good luck I hope it works out for you:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,404 Posts
From what I hear Texas is busy.....I would start looking before this turns into a common thing.

·
Premium Member
20,046 Posts
I've done that plenty of time when I ran work.
Don't take it too personal.

If your journeyman didn't show up and I was working a crew structure for that task and couldn't get you in on another, you got your 2 hours.
If we got rained out, 2hours.
Area delayed or material didn't show up, two hours
If you were late and warned, you got your 2hours.
Attitude, 2hours.

But, it works the same if you are high on the overtime list and I needed you for a task.

·
Registered
360 Posts
As a business owner, I can imagine how an employee might feel if he's sent home. However, I wouldn't worry too much about this unless it continues. The fact other apprentices were kept for the day is no indication of your value as an employee. Sometimes an employer will have to evaluate who should take the day off, and this is not always an easy decision. For myself, I have had been in that decision making process. Sometimes, I will consider the financial load that an employee has at home....kids?....house?....car loan? I also consider previously missed time by other employees, that is, if apprentice "A" has already missed a day last week, then maybe apprentice "B" can take today off! Or perhaps, the employer has already been advised that apprentice "C" is going on holidays in one week......then I would suggest apprentice "D" take the day off. You see? Employees (and apprentices) don't see the whole picture. Leave it a while, see how it goes. That's my suggestion. I would hope he pays for a couple of hours for your early morning visit, but that is his call. I think it would be kind gesture on his part, as it implies your time has value too.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
don't leave us hanging, what happened in '77:confused1::confused1:
My dad said go down to the 103 in Dorchester and ask them to put you to work, so I did what I was told for a change:laughing:

I walked in to to the bosses office, he was a big fat bald fck in his 50's with a huge Cigar----He said "Who do You Know"? I said no one, "who told you, you could come in here"?

My father.

"Never heard of him, but I will send him a message"

He snapped his fingers and the thugs came out of the hallway and grabbed me, pulled me out of the office and gave me a beating:eek:

At 6' tall 17 years old I was no match for 5 thugs, I did get a few good shots in before the lights went out, that cost me four teeth:laughing:

I'll bet those assholes are all dead now......Like I said I can laugh about it now, I'm sure the hall is not like that now..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I typically give 4 hrs shop time if I have guys in the shop. Texas is busy as hell right now so that's a rarity. Usually during company shutdowns or weather related incidents. As said above, don't take it to personal, if you stay slow ask if there is anything you could be working on around the shop to get your hours in, most owners / managers will see you are trying to make an effort and find something for you to work on for a few hours.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Apprentice, Clean the shop there is always at least 16 hours work in there.

I'd never send an apprentice home.

In you case it happened once I'd start looking and if it happens twice, I'd really be looking. AKA do not go home hit the bricks talking to other shops.

But do not burn any bridges.

·
Estwing magic
27,400 Posts
My dad said go down to the 103 in Dorchester and ask them to put you to work, so I did what I was told for a change:laughing:

I walked in to to the bosses office, he was a big fat bald fck in his 50's with a huge Cigar----He said "Who do You Know"? I said no one, "who told you, you could come in here"?

My father.

"Never heard of him, but I will send him a message"

He snapped his fingers and the thugs came out of the hallway and grabbed me, pulled me out of the office and gave me a beating:eek:

At 6' tall 17 years old I was no match for 5 thugs, I did get a few good shots in before the lights went out, that cost me four teeth:laughing:

I'll bet those assholes are all dead now......Like I said I can laugh about it now, I'm sure the hall is not like that now..:rolleyes:
WTF, Harry? I have had a sheltered life...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.