Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a customer buying a house that just got home inspection. One of the issues is one of the rain gutter downspouts is touching the meterbase. I thought in order to eliminate potential I could bond it to the grounding system?

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Lol. What do the home inspectors do when your meter can is bolted on top of aluminium siding? Run for cover?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,754 Posts
Geez, I thought this was going to be a roof overhang near a swimming pool. My fingers were all set to type yes.

Reactions: theJcK

·
Yeah Toast!!
1,270 Posts
Nope, they suggest that the siding be bonded. True story.:eek:

Pete
And I had to do that per local inspector. He said just put a lug by the meter. I ask with what does the lug need connected with? He said a metal screw is good. I told him I already have four metal lag screws in a big lug. He called me a smart ass and ordered his lug to be installed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What should I say when I do repairs? What distance does downspout need to be safe. I really don't see an issue but i want to cover my bases because my friend's dad is trying to buy the place. He's a some kind of high level doctor and is seriously smart as a brain surgeon. I haven't had a chance to look at house, but will do so when this hurricane passes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What code or local ordinance is the inspector using to back his request up?
I did have to bond a downspout once, by customer's request (he paid for it), because of the proximity of the service attachment and the drip loop to the gutter. That I can agree with.
But the meter can? That should be at the ground potential by default, and if it's not, there are greater problems at play than a downspout being energized..

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,754 Posts
What are the possible reasons to bond a gutter?

Seriously.
So Sally here don't go sticking that metal stick in the pool water and the other end touches a live gutter jus waiting to complete the path back to the transformer...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.