Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the lead electrician at my commercial workplace. Good pay, benefits, and plenty of work. Im unlicensed. Can someone please tell me the benefits of getting it? Just seems like a hassle and ive never really had any interest. I went to school for electrical and have been doing it for 6 years. Im 31

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
I'm the lead electrician at my commercial workplace. Good pay, benefits, and plenty of work. Im unlicensed. Can someone please tell me the benefits of getting it? Just seems like a hassle and ive never really had any interest. I went to school for electrical and have been doing it for 6 years. Im 31
Having a license sets you apart from the rest, It shows that you went through the process and were approved by the board to take your license, It is a ticket to more opportunities, What if the company you work for goes belly up and lays you off? You will have a tool to fall back on, I am an engineer, was an electrical inspector for sub station builds in NYC, i decided to go for my license when working for an engineering firm and i can say that having a license has opened a few doors for me and put extra money in my pockets, If you are content with what you make and your life style then dont bother, but if you have goals and think about providing a better life for your family, it does not hurt to have it, Im 30 years old btw.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
829 Posts
Get your license. It looks better than doing unlicensed work. Don't be a DIYer. :whistling2:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That_Dude said:
Get your license. It looks better than doing unlicensed work. Don't be a DIYer. :whistling2:
I am far from a diy'er. Just dont see any benefit to getting it. There is no chance my workplace will ever go belly up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4SQUARE said:
Then why ask?
Im asking because I am trying to see if its even worth getting my license. Was hoping you guys could shed some light. First response was good, but the other ones telling me to not be a DIY'er after 6 years is just dumb

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...First response was good, but the other ones telling me to not be a DIY'er after 6 years is just dumb
It shows initiative at your current job. Outside of that, if you're never gonna leave this job it has no value.

But at the risk of adding to the "don't be a DIYer" posts: If this job ever goes to hell for any reason, the license goes a long way to proving you can do what you claim.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tufts46argled said:
Odds are your probably right, but I noticed on another thread you were talking about side jobs. For that reason alone you should get licensed.
Is insurance expensive? Renewing the license?

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,080 Posts
One of my personal rules is too get every license and certification that offered or possible for me get. And to keep them up.
Nothing is forever. Companies get sold, management changes, accountants decide to sub out the maintenance.
But as long as I have my Red Seal, I can always work either for someone else or be a contractor.

To honest, I have a very tough time, accepting the fact that there are jurisdictions where anyone can be an electrician ( or other trades for that matter) without formal training and licensing :eek:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wcord said:
One of my personal rules is too get every license and certification that offered or possible for me get. And to keep them up. Nothing is forever. Companies get sold, management changes, accountants decide to sub out the maintenance. But as long as I have my Red Seal, I can always work either for someone else or be a contractor. To honest, I have a very tough time, accepting the fact that there are jurisdictions where anyone can be an electrician ( or other trades for that matter) without formal training and licensing :eek:
Well I had 2 years of electrical schooling and have been working for 6 years. Learn something new everyday. Just because I pass an open book test to get my license doesnt change my quality of work

·
Registered
31,896 Posts
I could not wait to get licensed actually got my first license 1-1/3 years early. I applied for all my masters in the DC area the minute I could, 7 of them maybe 8 it has been a durn long time. Never understand not wanting a license.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
brian john said:
I could not wait to get licensed actually got my first license 1-1/3 years early. I applied for all my masters in the DC area the minute I could, 7 of them maybe 8 it has been a durn long time. Never understand not wanting a license.
Yeah i guess Ill get it. hate taking tests. just wanna work ha

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.