Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electricity teacher told me that with my grades, and the math I have taken that I could easily get into the Union. He lined me up to take their aptitude test, and I want to know if the Union is something that I will want to be in.

I am still going to take the test regardless, to see how I do and keep my options open. But, I would like to know more about both Union, and Non-Union first.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Like all things in life it can go either way.

Some have had absolutely great careers with the union others have hated it, the exact same can be said of non-union shops.

You will get plenty of opinion here about which is better and I certainly have my own beliefs about it. But really in my opinion only you can decided which is for you and the only way to do that is to spend some time on both sides.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Sure, why not? It's a good learning opportunity, the pay/benefits are good and the hours fixed plus if your employer for whatever reason mistreats you, at least in theory there's someone you can go to rather than do nothing in fear of losing what employment you do have. Some guys are going to come on here and rant about unions screwing the world up and being in decline and all that stuff but despite all that as long as your local stays busy(which is an "if") it's a good situation for a worker.

·
√-1 2³ Σ π
3,465 Posts
the unions will say "yes"...the non-unions will say "no way!!", then they'll start fighting, insulting, and Mark or Pete will close the tread.

P.S. I say no go.:laughing:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh OK thank you guys for your help. From what i have heard so far, union seems great the only thing that i don't like is that i have been told i am not supposed to do side work if i go union.

I was talking to an electrician that I cut grass for, and he told me a majority of the money that he makes comes through his side work.

·
Registered
31,535 Posts
Where are you at in VA?

In my opinion, you have to work 40 hours minimum a week, why not get the most bang for your buck. Typically union pays better (NOT ALWAYS), usually has better benefits, and retirement that will follow you from company to company, which is a major bonus. That EXCELLENT open shop (non-union) may have all the benefits of a union shop but if they go out of business you may not get the same bennies elsewhere.

Avoid the union hype, we invented everything attitude, we are better than everyone else mentality and learn all they can teach you, the schools are normally very good.

If you are in Northern VA, Local 26 is a very good local.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you at in VA?

In my opinion, you have to work 40 hours minimum a week, why not get the most bang for your buck. Typically union pays better (NOT ALWAYS), usually has better benefits, and retirement that will follow you from company to company, which is a major bonus. That EXCELLENT open shop (non-union) may have all the benefits of a union shop but if they go out of business you may not get the same bennies elsewhere.

Avoid the union hype, we invented everything attitude, we are better than everyone else mentality and learn all they can teach you, the schools are normally very good.

If you are in Northern VA, Local 26 is a very good local.
I live around the Chesterfield/Petersburg area. I am pretty sure the union around here is local 666. And, I know what you mean about the Union hype, the pay is what gets me. The union rep told me that as a entry level apprentice I would be making $14.22/h. I think thats pretty darn good for my first job.

·
I have a black cat.
4,021 Posts
Oh ok cool, so there is no problem with me doing simple residential work?
You mean now?

Some union shops do a lot of simple resi work. Service calls, cutting in cans and stuff.

I think that most union guys expect big commercial and industrial work though, and end up working those types of jobs:

Schools, hospitals, and massive infrastructure for example.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
But really in my opinion only you can decided which is for you and the only way to do that is to spend some time on both sides.
AMEN BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do 'em both. Just don't tell everybody about it, cause they won't know how to handle you.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
union seems great the only thing that i don't like is that i have been told i am not supposed to do side work if i go union.
That is something commercial industrial guys say, because they really have no clue about residential.

And that is also something residential contractors say, because they don't want you touching their cheese!

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, ahhhhhhhhh-mennnnnnnnn

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,734 Posts
I will say yes definitely try the union, and that is coming from somebody who never was in the union. So there you go.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
HELL NO !!! Those union guys will steal your tools and fill your head full of lies!!

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Unions good if you don't mind giving handjobs to your brothers.

BROTHERHOOD FO LYFE.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts