Electrician Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. My DZ (heavy equip and air brakes) license is due for renewal.
I don't really have a need for it right now. I'm still doing a few jobs where trucks are required, but I have guys that do the driving.
I haven't taken a truck out myself for at least 3 or 4 years now.

No worries on the test ... piece of cake. And the medical will be fine, but will cost me $80-$100

But, it's a license .... what would you do ?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. My DZ (heavy equip and air brakes) license is due for renewal.
I don't really have a need for it right now. I'm still doing a few jobs where trucks are required, but I have guys that do the driving.
I haven't taken a truck out myself for at least 3 or 4 years now.

No worries on the test ... piece of cake. And the medical will be fine, but will cost me $80-$100

But, it's a license .... what would you do ?
"4 years "That says it all right there, but if there's a chance you could need it, I would renew.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,212 Posts
RENEW IT!!!

Think how hard it will be to retest if you need it .
I've had my class 3 for 50 years, used it once. But to retest now would probably cost me a few grand for class and road time.
A contractor friend of mine didn't renew his class 3 license. Wouldn't you know it, he had to drive to a job up north and was pulled over. then had to rehire an employee to come out and drive the rest of the way.
I told my guys to get every certification/license they have access to. You never know when or if said piece of paper will come in handy

Reactions: tmessner and emtnut

·
Small Potatoes
5,460 Posts
I have a Class A with doubles and tanker endorsement. I let the hazmat endorsement go, but all I'd need to do is take the test if I needed it. I renew my DOT medical the same time I renew my FAA medical with the same doctor.

It's helped over the years when pulled over for speeding. Many LEO's will give a non-moving violation ticket instead of a speeding ticket because they think you make your living driving.

Earlier in my career it was a backup if things went south with my business, which did happened in 1989 and I went back on the road for almost two years.

Truth be told, it's now just something an old guy wants to hold on to as a last bastion of my youth. :vs_laugh:

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Class A with doubles and tanker endorsement. I let the hazmat endorsement go, but all I'd need to do is take the test if I needed it. I renew my DOT medical the same time I renew my FAA medical with the same doctor.

It's helped over the years when pulled over for speeding. Many LEO's will give a non-moving violation ticket instead of a speeding ticket because they think you make your living driving.

Earlier in my career it was a backup if things went south with my business, which did happened in 1989 and I went back on the road for almost two years.

Truth be told, it's now just something an old guy wants to hold on to as a last bastion of my youth. :vs_laugh:
To be honest, that was really the only reason I was going to renew. I don't really think I'll use it, but didn't want to renew just to satisfy my nuts.

Bottom line, it's a license and worth keeping (thanks to all for the advice)
Made the appt today with the Doc to get the form filled out.

At my age, I'll have to do it again in 5yrs ... so if I don't use it by then, maybe I'll give it up.

Oh, and I've gotten off tickets for having the DZ too ... I guess even getting off one pays for the medical :biggrin:

Reactions: flyboy

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,212 Posts
I guess even getting off one pays for the medical :biggrin:
Most males forget or deliberately put off their annual physical.
At least you now get one (well at least in 5 yrs) , whether you want it or not

Reactions: splatz

·
Super Moderator
16,346 Posts
This is the first year since 1999 that I did not renew my contractors license.
I will renew my masters.

I have been retired now for several years. I have been renewing all along. I hope I did not make a mistake. I can still renew at a higher renewal fee.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most males forget or deliberately put off their annual physical.
At least you now get one (well at least in 5 yrs) , whether you want it or not
I started getting physicals yearly way back in my 30's. The only reason I went to see the doc was for the DZ physical.

I just had my physical in Nov , but the MTO requires a separate form, and OHIP doesn't cover it.

In my 30s - 40s - the doc would always check my nuts ... then it changed, didn't check the nuts .... but checked further south :surprise:
I never asked, but do they figure I don't need the ol' nutsac at my age ??
And what's with the backdoor stuff :biggrin: :surprise:

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep it active........I keep my CDL active....though i haven't driven a heavy truck in 10 years.

To be honest I doubt i pass the road test again.....
I'd pass the road test, but I'd have to read up on the 'numbers' for the test.

ie, bring the air pressure down to 65psi, and (10 or 15 secs ?) it should be past 90psi ?? I have my training material ... I'll read it and ace the test.

When I'm in the truck, I just pump the brakes about 10 times, and I can tell by the guage needle recovering if everything is OK.

I know how to check the brake travel, but our trucks are well maintained and it's not really an issue. If I took out a rental, I'd be doing the full circle check for sure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts