Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,505 Posts
Are the water lines bonded? Could very well have current flowing somewhere. What are they touching when they get shocked? Test for voltage and then turn breakers off until you find the culprit.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ask about work done in the near past in any of the apartments!?
Yep. I had this same scenario in a four plex. the home run's first stop was in the bathroom light box with a switch loop. Someone (Maintainence) changed out the light and did not connect the neutral from the panel back into the bundle. The circuit still worked, current was returning thru pipes. (old construction, steel boxes, neutrals done up with buchanons without insulation:eek:)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've told this service story on here already but I had a lady that was getting juiced off her bathroom sink. So we spent a bunch of time troubleshooting and re- grounding her house and one day we were out their and I had a revelation and it was her water heater element. So I told her and she called a tech out and we never got a call back from her.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Had the same problem, 3-5v on tub & sink hardware

The usual shtick is to turn off one breaker @ a time until the culprit is outed

But that didn't happen.....:( , only removing the GEC from the municipal h20 made it go away (yes the ser ent noodle was the very next thing we checked)

So we bonded the holy h-e-double hockey sticks outta everything anyways.

We could not get a reading after that, but i believe we simply provided an equopotential instead of eradicating what still is a whole house noodle

~CS~

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Checked an apt complex with 2 apts tenants report shocked in shower and at kitchen sink

Well, turn off your computer and go find the source and fix it before someone gets hurt.

I'd start with POCO neutral connection. If it is compromised or open, current may be flowing through the bonded piping.

Apt complex? Do the 2 units share a service?

I've seen it 4 times from 4 different reasons. Once in my own home :laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.