Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys deal with someone who always is borrowing your tools? At work I have a few individuals who feel like it is their right to use my tools. One is a 4th term apprentice that likes to show up to jobs with a backpack with a fluke meter and a multi-driver. He ends up needing to use my stuff every time I work with him since he is too lazy to bring down his own tools. The part that pisses me off even more is the fact he doesn't even bother to ask hey is it ok if i use this or that, suddenly i go to grab my tape/screwdriver/impact/pliers out of my toolbag and can't find them...sure enough they are in his pockets or his hands. I thought of just going out and buying another one of whatever he has in his pockets and handing him the receipt but I know he would never pay. I have told the guy multiple times maybe he should buy one himself since he borrows it so often, to which he usually replies I don't need one, yours is always here.

The part that gets me is the company pays for his tools. Anything within reason. Me, don't dream of it, I am temporary 2nd year apprentice they won't pay to replace a broken drill bit. And yet he is always borrowing my stuff. I have some nice tools that I invested my own money into and take pride in and this guy always thinks its funny to joke oh I lost your nutdriver or wrench, meanwhile it's in his back pocket. He gets pretty pissy when I tell him if he lost it, it's going to cost me 150$ to replace it as part of the kit. The guy just doesn't get it, no matter how I hint to him to quit borrowing my stuff it keeps happening. I may be an apprentice, but I'm not the latest edition of the tool loan program. All of my journeyman use my tools, and all of them except a select few respect my stuff and I trust them to use it. I am almost considering getting a locking metal toolbox for when I work with this guy.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Loan them the extra loaner set of tools. Pliers and ***** retired from daily use blown up from live cuts so they can gnaw their way thru a 14/2. Screwdrivers dulled and rounded from chiseling out so the simplest of machine screws are a daunting task.

This usually passes a hint.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Dip plier handles in turd at bottom of toilet. Place back in pouch.
Im sure he'll never want to touch them again.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I would do as ShockDoc says or I would simply tell the dude that I'm not the tool crib.

If he is a 4th year he is making bank compared to you. I would lock my tools up and tell him every time he needs something to put a $50 (cash) deposit in my hand.

Pete

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got first and second levels on my jobsite with full Milwaukee sets they bought with their first paycheque. What the hell is wrong with your 4th level buddy? Furthermore, why would you take that **** from him? If he wants to show up unprepared for work, send him home until he's comes ready to work. Who cares about seniority or years of experience, obviously he's not worth what he's getting paid.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not knowing the full circumstances of your situation, lock your good tools up and leave greased/turded up crappy tools available on the outside of the box that he can "borrow", lol but warn the journeymen about it.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
That's an awesome idea. :laughing:
There is nothing more entertaining than watching cocky people work with Mickey mouse tools.the cursing, the damage , the tantrums. He should record it on his phone if he follows through with my advice.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
There is nothing more entertaining than watching cocky people work with Mickey mouse tools.the cursing, the damage , the tantrums. He should record it on his phone if he follows through with my advice.
I worked with a guy like that. Only problem is that his personal tools were all junk - completely dull pliers and rounded off screwdrivers. He was constantly borrowing stuff. :mad:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I've told him lots of time get out of my tools. The guy doesn't listen. I'm liking the idea of taking some old crap tools and letting him use those. Have fun with that rounded out robertson, go to town.
I'm pretty sure if you look him straight in the eye and say "no, get off my tools!" He will have his own the next day.

He may hate you, but, you will be the guy that everyone else should thank.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.