Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody, keeping the momentum going on these tool reviews! This time it is all about side cutters, Klein Vs. Knipex.

The Knipex Twin Forces are beast much like the mini bolt cutters offering 50% reduced force needed. Based on the dual rivets.

The Klein is tried and true:

Tell me what you guys think,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy__hPodUUM

Nick

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
those are dykes

these are sidecutters

google strongly disagrees with that statement, but that could be that we are in different countries.... dykes as you call them we call side cutters, and the picture you attached linesman or combination cutters. Weird just over the boarder, that names would be so different. I am assuming you are American.

·
Homer to Jebus
790 Posts
Those Klein dykes look exactly like my Channellock dykes. :laughing:

The Knipex double rivets sound like a good idea. Beats the single rivet ones I got. Another thing to buy come tax time. :thumbup:

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
google strongly disagrees with that statement, but that could be that we are in different countries.... dykes as you call them we call side cutters, and the picture you attached linesman of combination cutters. Weird just over the boarder, that names would be so different. I am assuming you are American.
I call dykes - sidies or side cutters, those pliers he poster are linesmans and pliers with bolt gripping jaws are combination pliers.

·
Homer to Jebus
790 Posts
I call dykes - sidies or side cutters, those pliers he poster are linesmans and pliers with bolt gripping jaws are combination pliers.
All of the Masters and Journeyman's above me call them dykes.
Except for my professor who calls them "Alternate sexual orientation pliers".:whistling2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
google strongly disagrees with that statement, but that could be that we are in different countries.... dykes as you call them we call side cutters, and the picture you attached linesman or combination cutters. Weird just over the boarder, that names would be so different. I am assuming you are American.
What country you're in doesn't make much of a difference, and Google is not always right. Go look at the Klein/Knipex websites and look at the names of these pliers you speak of.

Sure a guy who's been in the trade for 25 years calls diagonals "side cutters". That's probably all he's ever known them as. If an apprentice tries to tell this person that they're diagonal cutters... well you know how that's going to go. This has been beaten to death... just like the #8/10/12 with the black and red robertson screwdrivers.

Even if you're right, which you aren't in this case, you shut your mouth and carry on knowing they're wrong, and in the end, it doesn't really make one bit of difference. You still have work to do.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Seems pretty easy to me.
Dykes are side cutters(sometimes angled).
Linesmans are a crappily designed pliers that can be used as a hammer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I always thought the "k" was silent in Knipex.

Side note- one helper I had a few years ago told me he couldn't find his "Alignments". I told him I had no idea what he was talking about, so he grabbed my Linesmans, and said,
"Alignments. You know, because they line up when you open and close them".
I still laugh when I think of that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those Klein dykes look exactly like my Channellock dykes. :laughing:

The Knipex double rivets sound like a good idea. Beats the single rivet ones I got. Another thing to buy come tax time. :thumbup:

The double rivets are huge, it is just like the mini bolt cutters they manufacture and I have never herd any negative feedback about them.

Here is my review on them:

http://youtu.be/8GZTS57WxTg

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have used Klein and a couple other brands, but have been using knipex the last year or so.

Love my knipex, lineman, side cutters, and various size channel locks. Good warranty on them.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Hey everybody, keeping the momentum going on these tool reviews! This time it is all about side cutters, Klein Vs. Knipex.

The Knipex Twin Forces are beast much like the mini bolt cutters offering 50% reduced force needed. Based on the dual rivets.

The Klein is tried and true:

Tell me what you guys think,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy__hPodUUM

Nick
Klein is unmatched, IMO, when it comes to linesmans, sidecutters, and wire strippers

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I agree, except for the strippers part. Ideal has Klein beat there imo.
youll laugh but I used to use the Ideal Super T strippers for years
now Im rocking a pair of Pittsburgh from Harbor Freight and theyre surprising pretty damn good
been using them for a few months now and there is practically no wear on them

1 - 20 of 69 Posts