Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I told my friend I was going to take what an electrician would charge her and cut the price in half. Fair right? She keeps insisting on paying me $100. Here is the job: replace 2 ceiling fans Replace 5 outlets in kitchen ( one has no power) Replace dimmer switch What would normal rate be? What would you charge?

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Zero for a friend. I also try very hard not to do work in my neighbourhood.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No deals. No more practice needed. Its either free, or its a job. If it's a job, then full rate please. If they're going to call me back if it stops working; then it is a job.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Incubus311 said:
I told my friend I was going to take what an electrician would charge her and cut the price in half. Fair right? She keeps insisting on paying me $100. Here is the job: replace 2 ceiling fans Replace 5 outlets in kitchen ( one has no power) Replace dimmer switch What would normal rate be? What would you charge?
$425 plus 7% sales tax.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I told her $200. She said a guy in her work would do it for $100. I said go with him
If she's worth it, tell her dinner and wine, water yours down , gettr drunk and bang her plus collect $100. It's a win win situation, and as far as the girlfriend or wife is concerned, your moonlighting.

·
Registered
240 Posts
if one has no power won't you have to pull a new cable from somewhere else now? (assuming the wire is the problem)

couldn't this get messy and turn into a headache? 100 bucks sounds really really low.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
This sounds like a sucker job. Tell her you will do it for $75. and then call in sick.
The trouble with this is it only makes YOU look like an ass. There is no upside.

But believe me I have thought about doing it more than a few times.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Replace ceiling fan: $150.00. Replace another ceiling fan: $100.00. Replace dimmer and 5 receptacles : $125.00 plus cost of new devices and cover plates. T&M 50.00 per 1/2 hour to find dead outlet problem.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts

Fair? For who?

What code cycle?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Side work is a touchy subject her on ET. I only do side work if it is worth my while....meaning I charge basically as much as an contractor would cost. I don't like doing it but if if they want to pay that much I could do it. I look at it as I am not under cutting the industry and I could make a killing doing it. Most people just decide to go with a contractor anyways which is a win for them. I don't mind at all. I enjoy my personal life.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
CanadianSparky said:
Side work is a touchy subject her on ET. I only do side work if it is worth my while....meaning I charge basically as much as an contractor would cost. I don't like doing it but if if they want to pay that much I could do it. I look at it as I am not under cutting the industry and I could make a killing doing it. Most people just decide to go with a contractor anyways which is a win for them. I don't mind at all. I enjoy my personal life.
When I first started for the company I worked for after a couple years I moonlighted all the time.
Never felt guilty about it.
I took all the overtime I could get from them , when there was none available I worked side jobs.
A kid with a kid, needed all the money I could squeeze out of a week.
When the boss found out , I just told him to give me a raise and I won't need to.
My time is mine , they don't own you!
As long as your not stealing work from your employer , that's a lot like sh* tying where ya sleep. Stupid!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts