Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive managed to avoid side work for the majority of the last decade. Now on with a new company here and side work seems to approach me constantly.:blink:

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was stuck working 6 days a week and side work was the last thing I wanted to deal with.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I wouldn't touch it. I've got enough going on with a wife, baby, two dogs and a house that 60 years old. I'm grateful to heavy steady work 6:00 to 230 everyday. I also thank Bacon and it thank Davis everyday.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I have some free weekends again. Not sure what the best way to put a figure on the job.. havent been crunching numbers.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Shock-Therapy said:
Now I have some free weekends again. Not sure what the best way to put a figure on the job.. havent been crunching numbers.
Enjoy the time off. It's hockey season after all. Or go get crazy with a rock hammer.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy wants a 50 amp sp and sounds like maybe half a dozen circuits run for starters.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might turn into plugs and switches, lighting, heat, fans and timers for this and that. Sounds like an opportunity for some coin.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
If it doesn't interfere with your current job.. than go for it..

Most of us here started out doing side work before jumping into it full time..

Guys get into trouble when they start hiring "buddies" and paying them cash..

One gets hurt and you will be in a world of chit....

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I intend to do it myself. Wont make a difference to the day job. The guys son works at a SH so material is already there. I hope... So it will be a labor job. Thinking charging him by the hour might work best being he brought all his own eggs.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I do a fair amount.
I work for a large e.c. work is very busy all commercial, industrial, institutional. No resi.
The side work I do is strictly word of mouth. And I am not a low bidder if there is any bids at all.
I do carry my own insurance, and pull permits. And do my own work after hours or weekends.
I've had to send my wife to pull permits often. And most places I work I am on good terms with the inspectors. So I can usually just let the homeowner let them in for inspections.
The main down side is that it cuts into my free time. Come spring time I will cut back jobs I take on.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
As an employer, imho, side work comes down to simply not slicing the throats

Your family, you friends needs....go ahead,its understood they want YOU.... borrow the co truck & write up what you used!

However, being approached by someone who obviously wants to undercut and undermine the local level playing field may get a dime dropped on you

~CS~

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Your family, you friends needs....go ahead,its understood they want YOU.... borrow the co truck & write up what you used!

However, being approached by someone who obviously wants to undercut and undermine the local level playing field may get your a$$ canned.

~CS~
Fify

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

However, being approached by someone who obviously wants to undercut and undermine the local level playing field may get a dime dropped on you

~CS~
True story, but we do strictly new construction so on that note I wont be s***ting in my nest so to speak. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
everyone has or does do it.....the thing that makes me nuts Ex: guy wants me to bid job...simple, fuses convert to new100 main...seu an in and out 6hr job...so he has a maintence guy he knows undercut me...now he has another issue...so while I am there I checkout the "job"....no water bond(non complicate)... no gec...water heater untouched....old #8 ground re-used....and just hot slipped old anaconda sec into panel... sloppy (I am anal neat 12 years of mil-spec work)so this guy does this mess for parts plus $600.....??? wtf...:censored:kiding me...

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
RGH said:
everyone has or does do it.....the thing that makes me nuts Ex: guy wants me to bid job...simple, fuses convert to new100 main...seu an in and out 6hr job...so he has a maintence guy he knows undercut me...now he has another issue...so while I am there I checkout the "job"....no water bond(non complicate)... no gec...water heater untouched....old #8 ground re-used....and just hot slipped old anaconda sec into panel... sloppy (I am anal neat 12 years of mil-spec work)so this guy does this mess for parts plus $600.....??? wtf...:censored:kiding me...
Speak only what you know to be true. Not everyone has done side work.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
After 32 years.... I guess maybe someone I met didn't do something....I honestly don't know....??? Seriously.......

1 - 20 of 54 Posts