Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
About a 1,000 dollars a month or 150 bucks a day.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
We use them almost every day, but now on a job running 2800' x 4 4" PVC coated GRC in a trench. So "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight."

"This here is the place I will be staying.
There isn't a number. you can call the pay phone.
Let it ring a long, long, long, long time.
If I don't pick up, hang up, call back, let it ring some more.
If I don't pick up, pick up... the sidewinder sleeps, sleeps, sleeps in a coil

Call me when you try to wake her up. call me when you try to wake her.
Call me when you try to wake her up.call me when you try to wake her.

There are scratches all around the coin slot
Like a heartbeat, baby trying to wake up,
But this machine can only swallow money.
You can't lay a patch by computer design.
Its just a lot of stupid, stupid signs.

Tell her,
Tell her she can kiss my ass, then laugh and say that you were only kidding.
That way shell know that it's really, really, really, really me.

Baby, instant soup doesn't really grab me.
Today I need something more sub-sub-sub-substantial.
A can of beans or black-eyed peas, some Nescafe and ice,
A candy bar, a falling star, or a reading of doctor Seuss;

The cat in the hat came back, wrecked a lot of havoc on the way,
Always had a smile and a reason to pretend.
But their world has flat backgrounds and little need to sleep but to dream.
The sidewinder sleeps on his back.

I can always sleep standing up. call me when you try to wake her.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
We use them almost every day, but now on a job running 2800' x 4 4" PVC coated GRC in a trench. So "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight."
Do you guys have the shoes for the pvc coated rigid?

We've ran pvc coated a fair bit, but have only used it for stubups out of the ground and exposed work. Never anything that was getting buried in a ditch.

Sounds like an expensive job.

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts

We've ran pvc coated a fair bit, but have only used it for stubups out of the ground and exposed work. Never anything that was getting buried in a ditch.

3/4" robroy is about $40 a stick condulets are $40 to $50 each. 3" T, $600. Don't forget the cost of stainless strut and straps

·
Registered
9,118 Posts

Not for a sidewinder. I'm not making any bends on these pipes. That's the plan and I'm sticking to it. I'm also not locating the manholes with pinpoint accuracy as per drawing, they're going where the pipes want them to... Luckily the backhoe operator was hired by US. At the first sign of resistance by him, he wanted to trench around a rock, and hemmed and hawed about removing it so we wouldn't have to bend, I pulled him aside and told him as diplomatically as I could that he either does what I tell him or GTFO. 3/4ths of the time he's not doing anything anyway but waiting for us to catch up. This is the 1st time I've buried pvc coated as well, but everything about this project is... weird.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Not for a sidewinder. I'm not making any bends on these pipes. That's the plan and I'm sticking to it. I'm also not locating the manholes with pinpoint accuracy as per drawing, they're going where the pipes want them to... Luckily the backhoe operator was hired by US. At the first sign of resistance by him, he wanted to trench around a rock, and hemmed and hawed about removing it so we wouldn't have to bend, I pulled him aside and told him as diplomatically as I could that he either does what I tell him or GTFO. 3/4ths of the time he's not doing anything anyway but waiting for us to catch up. This is the 1st time I've buried pvc coated as well, but everything about this project is... weird.
You're sealing the couplings and connectors right?

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
You're sealing the couplings and connectors right?
Nope. Not spec'd. Regular pvc coated couplings. Connections to manholes is via sledgehammered holes and cement patch. This is quasi-utility work. The NYC parks standards weren't adequate for Con Edison. Con Edison's standards weren't adequate enough for NYC Parks. This was their compromise. The last time we did something similar to this, it was 4x 4" FRE in a concrete duct bank. I think that would have been cheaper.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I have both shoe sets for PVC coated. As I recall, they were about 3 grand each. That includes the following rollers, which are oversized and also coated.

Reactions: sparky970

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
Nope. Not spec'd. Regular pvc coated couplings. Connections to manholes is via sledgehammered holes and cement patch. This is quasi-utility work. The NYC parks standards weren't adequate for Con Edison. Con Edison's standards weren't adequate enough for NYC Parks. This was their compromise. The last time we did something similar to this, it was 4x 4" FRE in a concrete duct bank. I think that would have been cheaper.
It shouldn't be spec that would be installed per manufacturer instructions.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Then you're wasting your time and they're wasting their money. The whole point of the PVC is to seal out moisture and contaminants. If you don't seal the coupling and connectors you might as well have just dropped plain rigid in the ground, at which point, you might as well have just dropped PVC in the ground. I've seen what happens when the couplers and connectors are not sealed, looks fine on the outside, and the inside becomes rusted and seized.

http://www.plastibond.com/installation.cfm

Skip to 8:00 in the video, or read the assembly instruction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts