Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that has a G3030L1200 main lug panel.
Has one open slot, but I need another.
Can the guts of a G3040L1200 fit into the can?
I haven't taken anything apart yet.
I have to correct a mistake that a landscape guy did.

He installed a sub panel, feeding a #6 copper from the lugs on the bottom of the main disconect.
He doubletapped the lugs and mixed copper and AL, so I need a spot in the main panel to feed this sub.
Sound like it will work?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,543 Posts
I would not count on that. I would check with Siemens. Can you easily add a small sub panel and move a few circuits from the old panel to the new one?

·
Banned
336 Posts
?

maybe? got a pic?

You could add some tandems if needed. If that don't work just add a little sub-panel right off that panel and refeed from that. That's what I usually talk people into. They are about out of space anyhow.

I usually can add a little 100 amp 10/20 spacer right next to panel (external) for about $200 and about 1-2 hrs time. At $20 bucks a tandem it seems a better idea.
Unless they are dirt poor.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
I like Dennis idea, JB, just add a sub and take out some circuits from the original.

·
child please.....
5,311 Posts
Add sub-panel like Dennis said or they make twin breakers now that go on either buss. I call them cheater twin breakers.

·
Registered
Electrician
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Minis will not fit the 3030 panel, made for full size breakers only.
Do they make a twin seimans breaker?(never mind, found the answer)

Would using a twin violate the listing of a 30 circuit panel with 31 circuit?

My first thought was the small sub, but the garage is sheetrocked and I wasn't sure that would be more cost effective.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,543 Posts
See if there's two circuits you can combine into one.
Good advice. I have seen, in some older homes around here, where the ec put every outlet in the kitchen on its own circuit. No problem doubling a few of those up. :)

·
child please.....
5,311 Posts
Minis will not fit the 3030 panel, made for full size breakers only.
Do they make a twin seimans breaker?(never mind, found the answer)

Would using a twin violate the listing of a 30 circuit panel with 31 circuit?

My first thought was the small sub, but the garage is sheetrocked and I wasn't sure that would be more cost effective.
Yes, they will. They make one that fits a 30/30 panel. It may be a Murray, but I don;t think its a big deal.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Siemans Panel

Is there a chance you can take some load readings from each circuit and then redistribute ,and create extra slots for additional breakers? I have done that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a customer that has a G3030L1200 main lug panel.
Has one open slot, but I need another.
I haven't taken anything apart yet.
I have to correct a mistake that a landscape guy did.

He installed a sub panel, feeding a #6 copper from the lugs on the bottom of the main disconect.
He doubletapped the lugs and mixed copper and AL, so I need a spot in the main panel to feed this sub.
Sound like it will work?
I think the 30/40 has the same guts as the 40/40.

·
Always Learnin'
1,294 Posts
Yes, they will. They make one that fits a 30/30 panel. It may be a Murray, but I don;t think its a big deal.
No, a Siemens ITE 30/30 will not accept a 1 pole twin hence the 30/30. If it was a 30/40 it would but a 30/30 does not have notched bus bars to allow twins.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,543 Posts
They may fit but the panel is not UL Listed for twins or mini breakers. Siemens numbers are good in that a 30/30 means all one size and 30 breakers. A 30/40 will accept either 30 full size or 20 full and 10 twins giving 40 breakers total.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I think the 30/40 has the same guts as the 40/40.
No.

The 30/30 has 30 spaces for 30 full sized breakers.

A 40/40 has 40 spaces for 40 full size breakers.

A 30/ 40 has 30 spaces with the bottom 5 fingers having a V cut out of the center to allow the twin breaker to slip in place.

Logic says that a 30/40 would fit in the 30/30 space but it seems like a lot of work for one space.

I'd look for a couple of lightly loaded 15A circuits to double up. The irrigation timer and lanscape light timer for example.

You can find a CL twin that will fit onto the regular portion of the bus but the listing would still be an issue (if things like that bother you). The old school twins didn't have that feature so I hang onto them in case of emergency.

You can also use the Peter D method and remove the clip that keeps the twin from slipping on the bus :jester:

·
child please.....
5,311 Posts
No, a Siemens ITE 30/30 will not accept a 1 pole twin hence the 30/30. If it was a 30/40 it would but a 30/30 does not have notched bus bars to allow twins.
Listen to what I am saying. Murray makes 2 types of twins. The first is the regular twin that fits on a 30/40 buss. The second has a deeper slot that is made to fit on a buss that would not ordinarily take a twin breaker. I don;t think its a big deal to use them, why would they make a product that would violate some ul listing?

·
child please.....
5,311 Posts
You can find a CL twin that will fit onto the regular portion of the bus but the listing would still be an issue (if things like that bother you). The old school twins didn't have that feature so I hang onto them in case of emergency.
This is the breaker I was talking about.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Listen to what I am saying. Murray makes 2 types of twins. The first is the regular twin that fits on a 30/40 buss. The second has a deeper slot that is made to fit on a buss that would not ordinarily take a twin breaker. I don;t think its a big deal to use them, why would they make a product that would violate some ul listing?
Because the one style is designed to replace existing twins, not add a circuit to an already crowded panel.

Square D does the same thing. They make two types of tandems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would ask the moderators to move this to the DIY side from some of the answers given.The right answers don't involve breaking tthe clip out of breakers or putting over thirty circuits in a 3030 panel.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts