Electrician Talk banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I am told that for a panel to be rated for tandem breakers it must have a neutral screw for each circuit. So 40 circuit panel would have 80 neutral screws to be rated for tandems.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I am told that for a panel to be rated for tandem breakers it must have a neutral screw for each circuit. So 40 circuit panel would have 80 neutral screws to be rated for tandems.
Why would 40 circuits have 80 noodles? Or are you counting grounds as well?

Either way, I've rarely seen panels with a 2:1 neutral bar ratio.

But that may be a Canadian thing as well, eh?

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I got to thinking about making the sub a 120 volt panel, and call it a day.
A 40 amp single, with 8/2.
Load is a small shed, a pond pump and another circuit for convenience.
Thoughts on that idea?

cough*hack*cough

Just double up something.

·
Registered
Electrician
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)

·
Registered
11 Posts
seimans panels

I am not saying that the breaker will burn down the house. It's the point that if it happens they will come looking. I might agree that you could do in an emergency but change it after that. A real contractor looks to do it right the first time and safely.

·
child please.....
5,311 Posts
I am not saying that the breaker will burn down the house. It's the point that if it happens they will come looking. I might agree that you could do in an emergency but change it after that. A real contractor looks to do it right the first time and safely.
Ok, Ok. I agree with that. I don't go out of my way to install the wrong materials. Sometimes, you have a cheap customer that wants it done as cheap as possible. It is an inexpensive way to add a circuit(if he couldn't double up on some existing circuits).

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
It is your choice, however the Insurance Investigator will be glad to talk with you if there were to be a fire
If there is one thing I've learned on the internet, it's that a lot of people worry WAY more than I do.

·
Registered
589 Posts
This whole CTL / non-CTL business would be a lot easier to deal with if manufacturers would label the panels on the outside (i.e. on the cover) as to what it's designed for. As far as I can tell, in order to figure out what kind of panel I'm dealing with (e.g. 30/30 or 30/40) I have to take the cover off, pull some breakers above and below, and examine the stabs. Slows down the estimate considerably. Should be printed on the box somewhere.
And I know: covers, where the labels are, can be swapped around. Still: they're engineers. They should be able to figure out something.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts