Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some insight regarding nuisance tripping of Siemens 15 amp single pole circuit breakers.

1. New 40 unit garden apartment building, only 15 units occupied so far.
2. 6 units are experiencing nuisance tripping of the living room AFCI.
3. All CBs have been replaced issue still occurring.
4. Tripping is random
5. Loads vary from unit to unit that are experiencing the nuisance tripping
6. Tripping times are not simultaneously occurring.

a. I plan to verify circuitry (no crossed neutrals, no multi-wire)
b. Insulation resistance test megger.
c. Swap out CB with a different brand. Jerry rig a THQB in the circuit.

Anybody having any Siemen AFCI issues?
Any brand AFCI issues?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I did a switch box years back and the afci would trip immediately from crossed neutrals. Doubt that's it.
I would also check for good splices and loose connections
Did you do the original install?

·
Registered
31,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a switch box years back and the afci would trip immediately from crossed neutrals. Doubt that's it.
I would also check for good splices and loose connections
Did you do the original install?
NOOOOOOO, I am hired to find problems others won't or can't, typically I do not do residential.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Looking for some insight regarding nuisance tripping of Siemens 15 amp single pole circuit breakers.

1. New 40 unit garden apartment building, only 15 units occupied so far.
2. 6 units are experiencing nuisance tripping of the living room AFCI.
3. All CBs have been replaced issue still occurring.
4. Tripping is random
5. Loads vary from unit to unit that are experiencing the nuisance tripping
6. Tripping times are not simultaneously occurring.

a. I plan to verify circuitry (no crossed neutrals, no multi-wire)
b. Insulation resistance test megger.
c. Swap out CB with a different brand. Jerry rig a THQB in the circuit.

Anybody having any Siemen AFCI issues?
Any brand AFCI issues?
You said six units are experiencing tripping in the living room circuit. Is every one that trips in the living room? That implies an issue with the LR install. Where are the units in relation to one another? Are they proximal to each other? Were the the first or last units built?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I did 70 apartments with 800 Siemens AFCI CBs almost two years ago and had one complaint. I suspect it was the fish tank blower.

I know others who complain about Siemens nuisance tripping and now use CH OR QO

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I use a lot of Siemens and don’t have any problems with the products.

If it’s a new resi build, shitty installation of the wiring and/or makeup.

Let’s all be honest, NC is getting worse with the labor shortage. I’m going into new homes missing Jboxes.... just wire supporting a fixture screwed into Sheetrock.

Be prepared to disassemble everything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had one occasion where it was the electric motors or switches on the reclining furniture that was causing the issue. It would happen randomly even without reclining the furniture.

·
Administrator
EC
22,182 Posts
Is it possible that there are switched receptacles and the ec used 2 different circuits?

When you say random does that mean at any time or is there an association with loads being used?

·
Registered
31,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it possible that there are switched receptacles and the ec used 2 different circuits?

When you say random does that mean at any time or is there an association with loads being used?
Anything is possible but supposedly the EC has looked for the obvious. But I never trust what others say until I see it for myself.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Let’s all be honest, NC is getting worse with the labor shortage. I’m going into new homes missing Jboxes.... just wire supporting a fixture screwed into Sheetrock.
You would think the labor shortage would drive the price up for NC and guys could start charging more money and paying good workers better.

I'm not sure how the laws of supply and demand work, but that should be close

·
Administrator
EC
22,182 Posts
Anything is possible but supposedly the EC has looked for the obvious. But I never trust what others say until I see it for myself.

I never take anything for granted if I have to trouble shoot. I start as I always do and go on-- first things first-- it also helps me visualize the situation. Good Luck

·
Administrator
EC
22,182 Posts
I thought Siemens as well as ge got rid of the gfpe in their AFCI's. Not certain but I was told that. If not I would say try installing a ge afci and see what happens. My bet is their is an issue with the install-- installer used a knife and got the insulation or something like that. Sometimes when the receptacles are pushed back the neutral and ground may be making contact and if the Siemens does not have gfpe then that would allow it to get energized

Reactions: brian john

·
Registered
Working With the Tools
665 Posts
Cool... I need one of those if they are still available. AFCI problems drive me crazy. Generally a motor on the circuit is the culprit. I wouldn’t dare admit on a public forum that I would get exasperated and replace them with a regular breaker. :oops:

Reactions: splatz and Navyguy

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
768 Posts
Digital or electronic power supplies also cause problems. We talked about a year ago about appliances, computers, LV lighting power supplies, and other electrical apparatuses not conforming to NEMA standards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts