Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im old school when signs required a switch disconnect. Does this hold true to LED signs?

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
All the ones I've wired up had a disco switch built in.
Normally when providing a circuit for the sign installers, I always provide a disconnect, even if the sign has its own disconnect on it. Everyone around here does it like that, probably from assuming the sign would have its own disconnect and then failing inspection because it doesn't. Its basically just a habit, but most guys do it like that here, and it keeps you from running into any problems if you provide the circuit before the sign guys show up.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normally when providing a circuit for the sign installers, I always provide a disconnect, even if the sign has its own disconnect on it. Everyone around here does it like that, probably from assuming the sign would have its own disconnect and then failing inspection because it doesn't. Its basically just a habit, but most guys do it like that here, and it keeps you from running into any problems if you provide the circuit before the sign guys show up.
I was only asking the question since now that most new signs are low voltage LED , is a switch really necessary. I notice many new signs going in without a service switch. I'd like to join them if I could.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I was only asking the question since now that most new signs are low voltage LED , is a switch really necessary. I notice many new signs going in without a service switch. I'd like to join them if I could.
I haven't done any LED signs yet. Interesting...maybe there is some sort of in-line quick disconnect, kinda like what they put in fluorescent lights??

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't done any LED signs yet. Interesting...maybe there is some sort of in-line quick disconnect, kinda like what they put in fluorescent lights??
The last sign I supplied power to I installed a gfci outlet with an in use cover. I was informed that the sign guy would be doing his own wiring and he did so smoking his drivers by wiring the outputs as the lines.

·
Stlchuck
31 Posts
A disconnect is required for the primary power for the LED power supply or supplies, it may be an integral part of the sign body or cabinet, or it may be part of the primary wiring upstream from the sign.
Either way the code is similar to motor disconnect rules- in sight or capable of being locked in the open position.
There is no exception that removes the low voltage portion of the sign from the disconnect requirements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.