Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, a fellow electrician. Friend of mine recently brought up during conversation that handy boxes are no longer allowed to be used per the nec. I can't find anything in the code to credit that statement. Am I missing something?

·
Senile Member
30,706 Posts
Urban electro myth. Your friend needs to purchase a code book.

They are not good for anything much in my book other than making burgler alarm installers think they are involved in the electrical field.

You know how to tell instantly that somebody is a scissor packer? Ask him what his favorite electrical box is and he will say ''gem''.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou. I told him he was full of crap but he's that guy that never backs down so I just gave up and went to look for myself. Thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea nacbooster I only wanted to make up a splice in an already busy location to relocate the rout of an undercabinet lighting circuit and he got all up in arms about it ha, Just cause I couldnt put a 1900 box in.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Charlie's Rule.

It doesn’t say what you think it says, nor what you remember it to have said, nor what you were told that it says, and certainly not what you want it to say. And if by chance you are its author, it doesn’t say what you intended it to say. Then what does it say? It says what it says. So if you want to know what it says, stop trying to remember what it says, and don’t ask anyone else. Go back and read it, and pay attention as though you were reading it for the first time.

·
Super Moderator
16,346 Posts
If I could collect cash for all the old electrical wives tales I have heard over the years, I would have some money.
Where do these stories come from?
Anyone heard some real doozies?

Heres one. "yea it is required. Its in the code book". That was a guy telling me that wire nuts needed to be taped up.

·
Super Moderator
21,904 Posts
They also make deep handy boxes. The standard Handy Box is about 13 cu. in so you can put a 12/2 nm with a device since you don't have to count the clamp. 5 wires at 2.25= 11.25 cu in.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
The only use I found for a handy box is an end of run basement receptacle on a 1x3 pine runner old school. The only other use I found for them are appliance receptacles in tight cabinet spaces. In the old days I still preferred octagon boxes with a duplex plate for basement outlets.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Urban electro myth. Your friend needs to purchase a code book.

They are not good for anything much in my book other than making burgler alarm installers think they are involved in the electrical field.

You know how to tell instantly that somebody is a scissor packer? Ask him what his favorite electrical box is and he will say ''gem''.
Here we go again with Macmikey's "scissor phobia" :laughing:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The only time I use them is for fire alarm. I use them with a close nipple into the flows and tampers. A 4" square would work just as good, it's just that a handy box is the norm.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Really. Not a 4" sq with raised device cover? Seems like self inflicted torture to me.
Only one screw still for those octagon duplex covers. Goes faster.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Only one screw still for those octagon duplex covers. Goes faster.
Dat don't make it legal. Do you solider and friction tape when you do that also?

I didn't know they still made those covers. I found a bunch of old stock hubble one with the outlet pre installed in our warehouse at work.

I have put a gfci in a Handi box with 2 12/2s before.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
They also make deep handy boxes. The standard Handy Box is about 13 cu. in so you can put a 12/2 nm with a device since you don't have to count the clamp. 5 wires at 2.25= 11.25 cu in.
Well that makes me feel a little better. I've done it, but I never did a box fill calc. :laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts