Electrician Talk banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,858 Posts
Piping can be damaged by internal or external action. Just because pipe is deteriorating does not mean that it can only be erroded by electrical current on the pipe. There is a pipe and tank protection method called cathodic protection that uses DC current to provide free electrons to the surronding environment, by providing free electrons from a controlled power source in the correct polarity, it prevents the piping material from sacrificing it’s own electrons, causing the pipe to deteriorate. This method is commonly used to protect petroleum lines that run long distances.

I have a fair bit of experience and study on this subject, due to having an electroplater in my area that had multiple plating rectifiers that were defective, causing water and gas line in the area to dissolve.
all large offshore vessels have sacrificial chunks of metal with dc voltage applied to them
the drilling rig i was on had it

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
@LGLS Che Gevara was a physician - he would not like you to use his face while stating your irresponsible claim about lead pipes.
This is a preposterous suggestion showing a total lack of understanding of safety or what lead does!
It is not ph - it is pH. Learn that words matter. It is not only pH that cause lead to get into the water. Low mineralization of water, lead flaking does it too.
If water pH creates a hazard - that is a natural unsafe condition. If pH needs to be measured, and treatment added - this is a safety hazard. Things and people do fail. The first effect of lead getting into a human body is BRAIN DAMAGE. Have you spent your childhood in a lead piped house with lead-painted windows and doors? Maybe this is the result of your insane claim, but it does not excuse it.
Oh yes as it happens I grew up in an old two family house in Queens and it was completely piped with lead, but it never caused me or my pregnant mother any problems. And besides, our house is completely lead piped and it never calused me or my pregnant mother no problems. And besides we never had any problems. Not me or my mother. And the house was completely piped with lead, and no problems.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Piping can be damaged by internal or external action. Just because pipe is deteriorating does not mean that it can only be erroded by electrical current on the pipe. There is a pipe and tank protection method called cathodic protection that uses DC current to provide free electrons to the surronding environment, by providing free electrons from a controlled power source in the correct polarity, it prevents the piping material from sacrificing it’s own electrons, causing the pipe to deteriorate. This method is commonly used to protect petroleum lines that run long distances.

I have a fair bit of experience and study on this subject, due to having an electroplater in my area that had multiple plating rectifiers that were defective, causing water and gas line in the area to dissolve.
All over Long Island, and especially running the length of the Long Island Expressway service roads, you will see on the light poles a gray box with a sticker “Cathodolic protection”. Then there was a conduit going into the ground. This is to protect the petroleum pipes, and the local utilities gas mains.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,127 Posts
All over Long Island, and especially running the length of the Long Island Expressway service roads, you will see on the light poles a gray box with a sticker “Cathodolic protection”. Then there was a conduit going into the ground. This is to protect the petroleum pipes, and the local utilities gas mains.
Years back I saw that in some places and I wondered what that meant. Now I know.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Years back I saw that in some places and I wondered what that meant. Now I know.
Check the polls along Pulaski Road between old Bridge bread and cheese hollow in the sunken Meadow Parkway, that’s where gas lines from Connecticut come across the sound until they get to the LIEE.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Sure, and ungrounded electrical systems are perfectly safe unless one of the conductors touches ground. Both things can and do happen.
But, a simple ground detection system can kill the power before any circuit would be .completed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts