Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 20amp breaker, a switch. Turned the switched on and all I heard is hum noises for about 1 minute and the breaker trips. The motor wasn't turning. What can possibly be wrong?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
yep, definitely broken.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can it be just a bad capacitor? I know single phase motor needed a push unlike 3 phase motor. Like capacitor with start winding? I think it's called a centrifugal switch or something like that.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Its broken for sure.....most likely the start cap if one exists......if not the centrifugal switch for the start windings is likely fubared.

·
Certified Organic A-Hole
1,700 Posts
Can it be just a bad capacitor? I know single phase motor needed a push unlike 3 phase motor. Like capacitor with start winding? I think it's called a centrifugal switch or something like that.
Yes it could be just a bad cap. The centrifigual switch is what drops the start cap and winding out when the motor reaches speed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking at $8 for a capacitor or $250 for a new motor. Never change a motor before and not sure if the capacitor is safe to touch. Don't want to get zap.

·
811 Posts
See if the cap is blown out, or has oil leaking out if it it is bad, but they can also go bad and not show any signs of it. I would take the back endbell off and look at the stationary switch as well, you can do that while the motor is in place. If it is a switch problem 9 out of 10 times its the stationary switch not the centrifugal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts