Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if it was just the way I was taught, but after looking over some apprentices work on this site I am wondering what the consensus is.

With single pole switches do you wire the switch leg to the top screw and with the screws on the right side when facing the box? I have always done it that way but am wondering if it was just a random habit I picked up. I do realize that on standard style switches the on/off will be backwards but wouldn't matter on decora style.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,143 Posts
Oh no......... Here comes a forty page thread that is going to spread to a hundred at Mike Holt.. Dammit.

Reactions: glen1971

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,143 Posts
I think I just saw my jman do it once and noticed load on top and it just stuck.
I'm okay with that, unless you see him just taping two wires together with no wire nut......

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
With single pole switches do you wire the switch leg to the top screw and with the screws on the right side when facing the box? .
I never pay attention to the line/load but the screws on the right are kind of important. :whistling2:

Uhhh...why does this switch say "NO" ?

Didn't read all the way thru. I suppose you could put the screws on the left on a decora but, I'm right handed and it wouldn't make much sense. Next time I might flip every other one in a 4G box just to confuse someone someday.

I got decora and 3way confused. I hate you people

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I was taught as an apprentice hear line to the top just like service entrance and have done it that was for quite a few years!
Now ..... Not so much as long as up is on. On a s.p sw
Anal journeyman as my mentor and my father so you can imagine I had to do it his way. Or get my ass kicked literally

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
I have to say I have never heard anyone ever commit on the order of a switch leg. Hey Boss, what order do I put the hot leg up or down on this here single pole switch. --- Wat the [email protected]#$ are you talking about? You must be from Canada ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.