Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there really a looming skilled trades delimma? I keep hearing, and have read about a significant skilled trades shortage including electricians worldwide and inthe U.S. It seems to me to be the opposite, a shortage of work, What do you think?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
IMO, when work eventually pics up around the entire country, there will be a shortage. Right now, I think many people are employed outside their specialty/education/training just for employment (ie; teachers/graduates working construction, etc.).

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Yes, I beleive it. It's based on the bell curve of birth rate of western/industrial countrys, and the baby boomers are on the far side and low on the curve.
Some industrial country's have a flat birth rate.

On average we as a generation are not having the same amount of children as our parents.

I beleive the boomers go up till 1963.

The FDA approved the pill came in 1957, that didn't help. :eek:

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's pretty insane here in Alberta. I don't think it's ever been easier to get into the trades here, and I bet it'll only get crazier in the years to come. I had to turn down three other EC job offers back in October when I was leaving the army and getting back into the trade as a 1st year. There's just that much work to be had, even for guys greener than this green guy.

·
Small Potatoes
5,516 Posts
Yes, I beleive it. It's based on the bell curve of birth rate of western/industrial countrys, and the baby boomers are on the far side and low on the curve.
Some industrial country's have a flat birth rate.

On average we as a generation are not having the same amount of children as our parents.

I beleive the boomers go up till 1963.

The FDA approved the pill came in 1957, that didn't help. :eek:
Baby Boomers - 1946 to 1964

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Is there really a looming skilled trades delimma? I keep hearing, and have read about a significant skilled trades shortage including electricians worldwide and inthe U.S. It seems to me to be the opposite, a shortage of work, What do you think?
There is a shortage of qualified men who are will to except the lowest standard of living,willing to work for minimum wage and live in public housing and get their food with food stamps,so the establishment republicans and democrats are working together to pass immigration reform to undercut us all by flooding the labor market with more than 30,000,000 workers over the next decade.

Wages for tradesmen are too high and gives these people too much money to spend on stupid things such as their own homes and other stupid things they really MUST be not allowed to have.

This is what the last six years was all about , They held economic activity to a minimum hoping to break us down in wages,but we stood firm,Now they want stuff built,But their new plan is to flood the labor market with 30,000,000 immigrants to cut the wages back down to the absolute minimum,and they will even cut the standards to get those wages down.

They're such nice guys,don't ya know.....:mad::no:

·
Premium Member
20,097 Posts
There is a shortage of qualified men who are will to except the lowest standard of living,willing to work for minimum wage and live in public housing and get their food with food stamps,so the establishment republicans and democrats are working together to pass immigration reform to undercut us all by flooding the labor market with more than 30,000,000 workers over the next decade.

Wages for tradesmen are too high and gives these people too much money to spend on stupid things such as their own homes and other stupid things they really MUST be not allowed to have.

This is what the last six years was all about , They held economic activity to a minimum hoping to break us down in wages,but we stood firm,Now they want stuff built,But their new plan is to flood the labor market with 30,000,000 immigrants to cut the wages back down to the absolute minimum,and they will even cut the standards to get those wages down.

Harry, it's been an anti labor/ anti worker/ anti union environment for a lot longer than six years.

Do we really think 30,000,000 people are here illegally since Reagan signed the immigration reform and control act of 1986?
He only got 3,000,000
And 10years later, Clinton cherry picked a few countries and signed in another 3,000,000.
So, historically we are due about 4,500,000. ;)

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Harry, it's been an anti labor/ anti worker/ anti union environment for a lot longer than six years.

Do we really think 30,000,000 people are here illegally since Reagan signed the immigration reform and control act of 1986?
He only got 3,000,000
And 10years later, Clinton cherry picked a few countries and signed in another 3,000,000.
So, historically we are due about 4,500,000. ;)
http://www.hrpolicy.org/downloads/2013/CHRO_Immigration_Reform_Letter.pdf

Business pushes immigration reform even as it lays off American workers
BY BYRON YORK | OCTOBER 3, 2013 AT 17:42 EST

But Obama, who won re-election with overwhelming Hispanic backing, had hoped to make reforms easing the plight of the 11 million immigrants who are in the United States illegally.

He’s also pushing the Senate’s immigration rewrite, which would triple legal immigration over 10 years to 33 million. The Senate’s bill also would almost double the current population of 750,000 university-trained foreign guest workers who compete for jobs sought by America’s annual class of 800,000 university-trained technical professionals.

Business groups that want Republicans to compromise more with Democrats and Washington's permanent political class on comprehensive immigration reform may declare war on Tea Party candidates by putting money behind moderate and centrist candidates in Republican primaries.

According to the Wall Street Journal, groups like the Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable are thinking about "backing challengers to tea-party conservatives in GOP primaries, increasing political engagement with centrist Republicans." The Chamber of Commerce is reportedly "researching" what races they can influence in GOP primaries "in hopes of replacing tea-party conservatives with more business-friendly pragmatists" who would include support for comprehensive immigration reform.

There is a ton of more articles just on this topic alone,and it's all an attack on the wages of the little guy.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

I think Harry's got it. The reason I'm getting out of the trade is they were trying to pay me 18 an hour and they put me as foreman of a lighting crew on a $10,000,000 dollar job. Of course everything came on no problems but they wouldn't give me more than 19. There's guys running work for in the teens and that is BS!

So I said if you don't want to pay me than I'll just be a reg mechanic why would I want all this extra headache when the guys below me make what I make sometimes more. So they put me back as a mechanic then 3 weeks later laid me off saying they could only keep their foreman and helpers.

I could go on for a few more paragraphs but this **** is BS!

·
Premium Member
20,097 Posts
the Caller is an entertainment and opinion blog so, I'm not hanging on to that one so much.
The GOP is looking real bad right now and could really use some leadership to steer it straight again. It's taking a hard core right turn and heading for the Devil's Triangle, again.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
the Caller is an entertainment and opinion blog so, I'm not hanging on to that one so much.
The GOP is looking real bad right now and could really use some leadership to steer it straight again. It's taking a hard core right turn and heading for the Devil's Triangle, again.
Huh!:blink::laughing:

They're so far left they make 1960's democrats look conservative :laughing:

·
Registered
809 Posts
When i first got my EC i worked for a hvac company and i did there furnace/ac hook ups and permits. I was only getting $17 and they told me for a raise i had to fire someone even though we were already short handed.

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
Boy,

all this negativity toward the wonderful "job creators"?:laughing:

Why else do you thing Republicans hate Unions?

Pretty simple, they want cheap labor. And now they will get it, and now all you who make less then 400k and vote Republican, can reap the reward along with the rest of America.

Yeah, you won the boobie prize!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
Boy,

all this negativity toward the wonderful "job creators"?:laughing:

Why else do you thing Republicans hate Unions?

Pretty simple, they want cheap labor. And now they will get it, and now all you who make less then 400k and vote Republican, can reap the reward along with the rest of America.

Yeah, you won the boobie prize!:thumbsup:
In case you missed the press notice The Dems are pressing for cheap labor, legalize the illegals and open the flood gates for more.

The Reps dislike unions because the unions use all their political cash for the Dems. If they spread it around there would be Reps pulling for unions.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.