Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been in the trade a couple of years and had some classroom training as well and just joined the IBEW. They gave me advanced standing as a 2nd year because of my previous experience. I was just wondering what kind of material is covered in their 1st year of school. The schooling that I did get was pretty sloppy and unorganized but some of the material we covered was box fill, pipe fill, service calcs, some residential code and a little commercial, ampacity adjustments.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey, I've been in the trade a couple of years and had some classroom training as well and just joined the IBEW. They gave me advanced standing as a 2nd year because of my previous experience. I was just wondering what kind of material is covered in their 1st year of school. The schooling that I did get was pretty sloppy and unorganized but some of the material we covered was box fill, pipe fill, service calcs, some residential code and a little commercial, ampacity adjustments.
Welcome aboard.:thumbsup:

I don't know what you missed but if they consider you a 2nd year, then you're probably getting paid more than a first year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My first year was the history of IBEW, NECA, NJATC and DC theory. Good luck and welcome.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
3 Posts
First year was all DC didn't mention AC. They covered the fundamentals of DC calculations and also electronic devices like diodes, transistors, zener. A lot of safety stuff too which is probably the most important.

3 wire ccts and a lot of residential code / wiring basics. A little bit about commercial some pipe work and bx but not much.

·
IBEW MEMBER
383 Posts
dc theory. we covered series, parallel, and combination circuits. applying ohms law and finding resistance, amps, voltage etc. u should definitely find some books to study up. because 2nd year just stacks on top of it

·
IBEW MEMBER
383 Posts
I love the NJATC. It's pretty sweet that we all get mostly the same curriculum at about the same pace.
I hate it. their tests are complete crap, they are only hard in the sense that they ask trick questions on irrelevant details from the textbooks. u get screwed over and its not testing you on knowledge of a subject.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I hate it. their tests are complete crap, they are only hard in the sense that they ask trick questions on irrelevant details from the textbooks. u get screwed over and its not testing you on knowledge of a subject.
Then I guess your instructors aren't making particularly good tests

1 - 12 of 12 Posts