Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Apologies for my lack of technical wording as I am not an electrician by any means nor do I have any electrical education except from YouTube so bear with me but I thought I would ask here from people that know what they are talking about! :) I am currently building my own skoolie bus conversion and I want to make sure I avoid any issues with wiring and any fire risk and such. As a note, I am located in the US so I will be referencing what we use here. Not concerned much about if it is up to code as much as I am just from a safety perspective.

QUESTION:
I have a 1500w Aims Power pure sine wave inverter for my house plugs around the vehicle and long story short, the inverter does not have any lugs for me to directly connect a AC Load Center (using a Square D 100A load center w/ 6 slots). It does however just have two female 3 prong 120v sockets on the back with the little “test” buttons above each socket. My thought is to use a Romex plug and give power to the load center that way (I am using the typical yellow Romex wire with 2 hots and a ground). There are two sockets so my thought is between these two options:

Option 1: use both AC Out sockets w Romex plugs from the inverter and use one plug to power one side of the bus bar in the Load Center and use the other plug to power the other side bus bar in the load center and then connecting both neutrals at the neutral lug in the load center.

Option 2: use one AC Out plug to energize one side of the bus bar and then taking a 2 pole breaker and essentially looping/jumping it to act as a main breaker and energize the other bus Bar

Which option will be more effective/safer? Will that be enough to juice what I want? Will the AC Out plug from the inverter handle the load? I don’t intend on powering anything bigger than say at 1000w space heater or rice cooker and my overall power max for the entire system will be 12.5A (1500W Max from inverter/120v —> please correct me if my math/assumptions are wrong)

Thank you for any help/guidance you can provide and please use simple terminology as I am not very familiar with this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,798 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.