Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anytime I'm installing nm cable in a garage or basement I'll sleeve the drop in conduit to protect it from any physical damage. When does sleeving nm cable in conduit become unacceptable as far as length goes? For instance, if I sleeved romex in conduit all the way around a garage horizontally would that be code compliant?

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Anytime I'm installing nm cable in a garage or basement I'll sleeve the drop in conduit to protect it from any physical damage. When does sleeving nm cable in conduit become unacceptable as far as length goes? For instance, if I sleeved romex in conduit all the way around a garage horizontally would that be code compliant?
In my opinion there is no limit.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Back in early 80's.. I got a violation for running UF in pvc for a swimming pool..

He said something about running a "assembled cable in conduit".. I had to dig up the pvc and start over.. :mad::mad:

This was before I knew any better to ask for a code reference...

I think he was pissed off at me for sending back $100.00 worth of tickets to the "Inspectors Dinner"..

Months later I asked another contractor why this inspector was breaking my balls and that was the reason.....

I refuse to be blackmailed by anyone while I am trying to do my job.. :censored:

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Back in early 80's.. I got a violation for running UF in pvc for a swimming pool..

He said something about running a "assembled cable in conduit".. I had to dig up the pvc and start over.. :mad::mad:
:001_huh::001_huh:

Why didn't you just pull out the UF cable and pull single conductors?

·
Banned
1,486 Posts

This was before I knew any better to ask for a code reference...

I think he was pissed off at me for sending back $100.00 worth of tickets to the "Inspectors Dinner"..

Months later I asked another contractor why this inspector was breaking my balls and that was the reason.....

Is the cook that bad ?

Pete

·
Administrator
EC
22,196 Posts
In my opinion there is no limit.
I agree with Bob- no limit but nm cannot be sleeved in conduit in areas of what or damp locations.

Reactions: 220/221

·
Administrator
EC
22,196 Posts
Because I had UF run in the basement already.. it was a short run to the pool..
I think Peter, as well as I, were thinking leave the pipe and pull the UF. You opted to use the UF without the pipe, I think.

Reactions: MTW
1 - 9 of 9 Posts