Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bidding a 20x60 mall shop. There is nothing but a panel and four sheetrock walls. Its a donut shop. There are 9 troffers, 18 tracks with 3 heads each. Its half and half. Half seating area and half kitchen. My bid is somewhere around $16000 does that seem low?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,724 Posts
I am bidding a 20x60 mall shop. There is nothing but a panel and four sheetrock walls. Its a donut shop. There are 9 troffers, 18 tracks with 3 heads each. Its half and half. Half seating area and half kitchen. My bid is somewhere around $16000 does that seem low?
That isn't really enough info to get a reliable answer from anybody. Next question, do they cook donuts with gas or electricity? Is your existing panel large enough to handle the kitchen load? Has the load of the store been engineered and stamped or are you working that out? Do you run much conduit or are you a roper breaking out of the mold? Is the existing panel voltage/phase the right one for the equipment the store owner purchased? Do you need to sawcut the floor to put in any raceway? I can go on like this for hours and hours but I'm bored already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That isn't really enough info to get a reliable answer from anybody. Next question, do they cook donuts with gas or electricity? Is your existing panel large enough to handle the kitchen load? Has the load of the store been engineered and stamped or are you working that out? Do you run much conduit or are you a roper breaking out of the mold? Is the existing panel voltage/phase the right one for the equipment the store owner purchased? Do you need to sawcut the floor to put in any raceway? I can go on like this for hours and hours but I'm bored already.
;) Its kinda like Hold'em. You gotta fully understand the whole situation:rolleyes:

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,724 Posts
17 might work, but still got a lot more questions to answer first......

I never even got to 480's list yet..........

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
17 might work, but still got a lot more questions to answer first......

I never even got to 480's list yet..........
seriously
Whats your burdened labor rate?
Permit fees?
Access?
How far away is it?
You said its in a mall are the time restrictions?
How much and what kind of equipment?
Ansul system? Shunt trips?
Stainless steel walls or frp?

I too am now bored
next

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No concrete cutting, the equipment is gas, the gc is supplying the lighting track and heads. permit $300, there is an Ansul, with 2 outlets under hood. No time restrictions the walls are frp. I charge $100 an hour for 2 men. its 35 miles from the house with a supply house 6 miles away

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I don't think you can add old work boxes in frp walls.
You can as far as FRP but Old works in adjoining walls will likely be a problem due to the fire ratings of the walls.

As far as the pricing ....... there is no where near enough info to even begin to guess. If someone can accurately price this job from the supplied info I will hire them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
No concrete cutting, the equipment is gas, the gc is supplying the lighting track and heads. permit $300, there is an Ansul, with 2 outlets under hood. No time restrictions the walls are frp. I charge $100 an hour for 2 men. its 35 miles from the house with a supply house 6 miles away
Don't you have any business expenses? $100 per guy is low, let alone 2 guys.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Did this change?

I thought the outlet boxes must be attached to the framing of the frp, and old work cut in, weren't allowed.

Was this ever the case?
Maybe we are talking about different things?

FRP to me is just Fire Resistant Plastic 'paneling' and is typically glued to the sheet rock under it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont have a shop and i only have 1 truck. I just hired the second guy and now have just gotten buried with work. my problem is I need payroll to get to draws. right now I could add 2 more guys but I wouldnt b able to make payroll the first week.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Huh?

Typically a bid for me is based on the direct cost of labor, O&P are added on at the end.
I suppose you can do it either way.

This is a small TI project, and I would bid it with the OH lumped in the hourly rate. If it was a larger project, then I would figure in OH as a lump sum.

I find easier to adjust my hourly rates (with OH included) depending on how much I have produced so far in that year.

I have seen too many times people here adding OH separately and it is always something like OH=10%. This to me seems like someone pulled a number out their ass. Why isn't it ever a more accurate number? Like 14.28% or 63.77%?

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
I dont have a shop and i only have 1 truck. I just hired the second guy and now have just gotten buried with work. my problem is I need payroll to get to draws. right now I could add 2 more guys but I wouldnt b able to make payroll the first week.
You are in trouble. You are probably underbidding the work and that is why you are finding yourself buried. You do have a "shop" it just doubles as your house and the space is an expense that you should be counting in your costs. You may need to back up and regroup. If you dont have reserves for payrole then you do not need employees. If you are growing to fast it can put you under. If your jobs have been profitable then you should be putting money back for payrole. Or putting it aside to back a line of credit.

It is probably time to revisit your business plan and if you do not have one then it is a good time to write one.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
So, are you saying since you don't have a shop and only one truck, you have low overhead? That is a huge mistake. As a percentage, a "one man shop" has nearly 100% overhead. This is a very small job, if you can get a draw after rough, you should be fine. The additional payroll costs aren't that bad.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.