Electrician Talk banner

Small Commercial Job

6K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  MarkyMark 
No concrete cutting, the equipment is gas, the gc is supplying the lighting track and heads. permit $300, there is an Ansul, with 2 outlets under hood. No time restrictions the walls are frp. I charge $100 an hour for 2 men. its 35 miles from the house with a supply house 6 miles away
Don't you have any business expenses? $100 per guy is low, let alone 2 guys.

Huh?

Typically a bid for me is based on the direct cost of labor, O&P are added on at the end.
I suppose you can do it either way.

This is a small TI project, and I would bid it with the OH lumped in the hourly rate. If it was a larger project, then I would figure in OH as a lump sum.

I find easier to adjust my hourly rates (with OH included) depending on how much I have produced so far in that year.

I have seen too many times people here adding OH separately and it is always something like OH=10%. This to me seems like someone pulled a number out their ass. Why isn't it ever a more accurate number? Like 14.28% or 63.77%?

I dont have a shop and i only have 1 truck. I just hired the second guy and now have just gotten buried with work. my problem is I need payroll to get to draws. right now I could add 2 more guys but I wouldnt b able to make payroll the first week.
So, are you saying since you don't have a shop and only one truck, you have low overhead? That is a huge mistake. As a percentage, a "one man shop" has nearly 100% overhead. This is a very small job, if you can get a draw after rough, you should be fine. The additional payroll costs aren't that bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.