Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Fairy new here and i was looking to get some advice. I recently started working for my father. He owns his own company and has been staying afloat for a few years by word of mouth. It's my job to bring in the jobs for him but i'm having some troubles. I have us on facebook, angieslist, and craigslist. Yet to no avail have i been able to score a job. I was wondering if i could get a few tips or have someone point me in the right direction to get us going.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Hello all! Fairy new here and i was looking to get some advice. I recently started working for my father. He owns his own company and has been staying afloat for a few years by word of mouth. It's my job to bring in the jobs for him but i'm having some troubles. I have us on facebook, angieslist, and craigslist. Yet to no avail have i been able to score a job. I was wondering if i could get a few tips or have someone point me in the right direction to get us going.

Fairy new here ??????

Do we really need to know your sexual orientation ?

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Networking is a biggie. Chamber of commerce or other organization. Hit the streets, look for property mgmt companies, hotels and motels.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
You need affiliations.. might be hard if you're young.

Join organizations that will get you out of your circle, because obviously your circle isn't the right demographic to make money.

Social media is only as good as your social network.. and yours doesn't hire electrical services. So join volunteer organizations, religious organizations, political groups... those will help you meet people and people who know people, who need your services.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
one way (of many)

drive around town and stop at every jobsite and collect the GC's name and number, and maybe a contact. send everyone a nice letter stating what kind of jobs you do and you would like to bid on jobs with them. follow every one up with phone calls to estimators for the company and bid like there is no tomorrow. follow up bids with phone calls to see where you came in (if you didn't get any jobs). keep trying. you can look up contractors in the blue book in your area and do same. you can see who is bidding on govt jobs in your area and do same. you can call every gc in phone book and do same. you can call every realtor in town and do same.

good luck Cletis

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
What is going to be your customer base? Are you working with certain general contractors for construction residential or commercial or is most of your work service either commercial or residential?

You are going to decide what is the top priority and market to them. One of the best marketing tools is your two feet. Don't sit on a computer all day hoping someone will stumble across your web site. Get out into your territory and sell your company directly to the client. If you want construction go meet the contractors and get on their bidders list. Stop at construction sites and see if you could bid their next project. Stop in at local businesses and meet the owner or manager remember they could be residential customers. Talk with other trades to see if they could use you on a project where they need a licensed electrician. You hand out a thousand cards between now and the end of the month and you will have a very good chance of being busy next month.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
What is going to be your customer base? Are you working with certain general contractors for construction residential or commercial or is most of your work service either commercial or residential?

You are going to decide what is the top priority and market to them. One of the best marketing tools is your two feet. Don't sit on a computer all day hoping someone will stumble across your web site. Get out into your territory and sell your company directly to the client. If you want construction go meet the contractors and get on their bidders list. Stop at construction sites and see if you could bid their next project. Stop in at local businesses and meet the owner or manager remember they could be residential customers. Talk with other trades to see if they could use you on a project where they need a licensed electrician. You hand out a thousand cards between now and the end of the month and you will have a very good chance of being busy next month.
What he said.

Welcome to the forum..:thumbup:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Are you getting leads and not landing them?
Or just not getting any calls?
Theirs obviously a big difference there in what you would need to change. However it sounds like you need to start at the beginning and and probably do what alot of e.c.'s dont love to do but it may get the phone ringing.... flyers and the dreaded list of Craigs
Good luck with it bro. The phone will ring . Just be ready.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Then you should focus on what Rewire posted. The other sites are only going to be geared to a primarily residential market.

·
Premium Member
19,540 Posts
What part of Georgia are you in?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
We actually got a referral from the chamber before. They called us back to let us know they would no longer refer us because our rates were out of control, there is a handyman on the board and he says we should only be about $50 per hour, that's all he charges.

Lol.....no, sorry, we won't be renewing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts