Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this enclosure for a small assembly I made. I have a couple power supplies, a few terminal blocks, a relay, etc. on about 10" of DIN rail. I put a cord and plug on it for power.

You can't really tell from the picture but it's nice because the base and the two square sides come apart from the front, top, and bottom. So you can get to the stuff on the DIN rail easily with the cover off.

Hammond 1416K

https://www.hammfg.com/electrical/products/commercial/1416.pdf

It's working well, I am just wondering if anyone knows of similar enclosure that would give me more options for sizes etc. The important thing is having the front top and bottom lift off together so you can get to the components easily.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I haven't really seen any vented enclosures like that for sale.

It kind of reminds me of the enclosures they use on the MTE/TCI line reactors we buy, or an enclosure with a braking resistor in it.

Seems like it'd be a good way to shed heat from a power supply if you were worried. I've never done anything except put power supplies in a standard box, mounted to the backpanel.

Are you thinking you're going to have a lot of heat to dissipate?

https://www.hubbell.com/powerohm/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Industrial-Controls/Resistors/Braking-Resistors/c/2147368

·
Hackenschmidt
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to put the first one I made inside an equipment rack. I wanted an enclosure around the DIN rail stuff, but there wasn't room for anything big. I was concerned with the equipment crowded into a small enclosure, and fairly warm ambient temperature inside the rack, it would get too hot.

So, I googled ventilated electrical enclosure or something and these came right up. I think Hammond makes these to house some of their control transformers etc. so it seemed like a good fit.

Others I am building won't be as crowded, or in warm ambient temperatures, so a solid one would be fine. I really like the way the lid lets you get at three sides of the equipment so it's easy to work on in a nice compact enclosure.

I haven't really seen any vented enclosures like that for sale.

It kind of reminds me of the enclosures they use on the MTE/TCI line reactors we buy, or an enclosure with a braking resistor in it.

Seems like it'd be a good way to shed heat from a power supply if you were worried. I've never done anything except put power supplies in a standard box, mounted to the backpanel.

Are you thinking you're going to have a lot of heat to dissipate?

https://www.hubbell.com/powerohm/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Industrial-Controls/Resistors/Braking-Resistors/c/2147368

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I use that one too, for making portable CTPs. I put a drawer handle on top, a fuse holder on the end and a selector switch wired to the primary to select between 480 and 240 V input. I’ve never seen it in any other format though.

There is a small enclosure mfr named Bud (Bud Box), but I don’t know if they have a DIN rail version.

Reactions: splatz

·
Hackenschmidt
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It's working well, I am just wondering if anyone knows of similar enclosure that would give me more options for sizes etc. The important thing is having the front top and bottom lift off together so you can get to the components easily.
Have you talked to Hammond about custom making the size you want? I have used them for panels with custom cutouts and it ended up being cheaper than just a stock enclosure of the shelf. The turn around time wasn't too bad.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you talked to Hammond about custom making the size you want? I have used them for panels with custom cutouts and it ended up being cheaper than just a stock enclosure of the shelf. The turn around time wasn't too bad.
No, never even thought about it - I'd have thought it would be too expensive, so thanks for that info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts