Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,482 Posts
There are digital meters that have no communication. Some have communication while others step it up with remote disconnect relays.
I was just going by what the POCO heads here told me. They said theirs were smart meters (digital) but they didn't use all the capabilities of them.
I think they mainly use them to avoid having meter readers and to alert them if power is lost.....read meter pulled!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Working for a poco in mass I assure you the most our meters do is transmit to the truck when it drives down the street once a month . If I have to pull the meter to change a panel I cut the seal and call in a re-seal . Never had a problem . And if I forget it's not like they hunt me down , they barley have enough people to get there work done as it is never mind chasing a cut seal

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds kind of like you are thinking of doing something against the rules. If you don't know one meter from another you maybe should not be pulling it.
No, I just don't deal with resi very often. I have seen the new digital meters and have heard on here a few guys talk about smart meters. I just didn't know if there was some way you knew one from another.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.