Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Owner
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone out there using their smartphones or tablet based apps to generate daily progress reports (DPR's)? I'm thinking seriously of using Raken Reports and installing it on our field devices. This way the guys can essentially talk into their devices to file daily job information or issues and add pictures. It generates a PDF that gets emailed to the office when done on a daily basis. Anyone else using Raken or someone else for this? How do you like it? Drawbacks??

·
Hackenschmidt
13,202 Posts
I haven't seen it but I'd definitely try it out before you invest much in it.

If it relies on a speech to text translation, you probably know how comical the mistakes can be. If it stores the original sound with the text, at least you can go back and listen to the audio if you need it. Even then you might find that there are parts that are unintelligible because the guy didn't keep the mic in place or a tractor trailer was passing the vehicle. If you have guys that are real marble mouthed you might get gibberish translations and unintelligible recordings.

If the daily progress reports are all reviewed by someone, then you're OK, but then again a paper or typed report might get to the desired report faster. Many say the handwritten report is the most court defensible.

Dictation is not as easy as it sounds. For a lot of people, they'll get to an acceptable finished product faster typing it in that dictating it. When you write something, you can go back and edit and people tend to think about what they're writing. Dictation, people tend to ramble, they'll say things wrong, etc. Doctors and lawyers have used handheld recording devices forever, they used to use little cassettes, but those devices always had a thumb switch that let you back up, play what you said, record over it, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.