Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouring through the NEC 2011. Can anyone post the section of the code that allows me to install residential smoke detectors on a shared circuit?

I can not find where the code addresses smoke detectors outside for fire alarm systems 760

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,418 Posts
I've been scouring through the NEC 2011. Can anyone post the section of the code that allows me to install residential smoke detectors on a shared circuit?

I can not find where the code addresses smoke detectors outside for fire alarm systems 760

NEC does not address smoke detectors, other building codes do. NEC covers wiring methods employed in powering and connecting smoke detectors together such as no nm above drop ceilings in other than dwellings and the like.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NEC 760.41 (B): The branch circuit supplying the fire alarm equipment(s) shall supply no other loads ..... This branch circuit shall not be supplied through ground-fault circuit interrupters or arc-fault circuit interrupters.

I'm "assuming" 760 only applies to fire alarm panels, but I can not find any where in the code that allows me to install smoke detectors on say a bedroom AFCI circuit.

·
Senile Member
32,418 Posts
NEC 760.41 (B): The branch circuit supplying the fire alarm equipment(s) shall supply no other loads ..... This branch circuit shall not be supplied through ground-fault circuit interrupters or arc-fault circuit interrupters.

I'm "assuming" 760 only applies to fire alarm panels, but I can not find any where in the code that allows me to install smoke detectors on say a bedroom AFCI circuit.
You won't find it. And therefore it is allowed. I do it almost daily.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a residential smoke detector is simply considered an outlet and wired in accordance to NEC 210?

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,235 Posts
No help to you in the states, but in Canada:

32-110 Installation of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in dwelling units
(see Appendices B and G)
32-110
The following requirements apply to the installation of permanently connected smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in dwelling units:
(a) smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms shall be supplied from a lighting circuit, or from a circuit that supplies a mix of lighting and receptacles, and in any case shall not be installed
(i) where prohibited by Rules 26-720 to 26-724; and
(ii) where the circuit is protected by a GFCI or AFCI;

I'm surprised it's not similar south of the border.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts

Resi smoke detectors are not fire alarms. 760 does not apply to them.

·
Senile Member
32,418 Posts

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
i always use the master br lighting circuit. That way, if there's a problem with the smokies, the ho is likely to want to fix it.
fify

·
God-fearing Volt-head
1,221 Posts
On the flip side of this, though, the installation instructions that come with the ones I've installed say that they cannot be on a circuit with more than 1000' of wire between the last detector on the circuit and the breaker (the one's I've installed will set all of them off if one of them goes off).

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
No. BR circuit. I don't separate lights & receps.

Besides, people can 'survive' if the lights go out (and may actually prefer this). But if his 60" flat screen or her plug-in heater quits working, they're gonna be calling me.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
No. BR circuit. I don't separate lights & receps.

Besides, people can 'survive' if the lights go out (and may actually prefer this). But if his 60" flat screen or her plug-in heater quits working, they're gonna be calling me.
really ? I don't do too much resi, but the little I've done I separated them. hmmm.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
really ? I don't do too much resi, but the little I've done I separated them. hmmm.
It's rare that I ever see them separated.

Pete

1 - 20 of 26 Posts