Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys have a preference on hard wired smoke detectors? BRK or Kidde Firex?

I've been having a lot of call backs and issues with BRK lately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had over 50% failure rate with Kidde Smokes/CO2 detectors. I've had no problems since switching to BRK. We are not the only contractor in the area that has issues with Kidde. one supply house said a contractor brought back a 50 gallon drum full of Kidde detectors that had recently been installed on a large project.

·
Can't Remember
10,428 Posts
I prefer the BRK combo photo/co units. Lots of the equivalent Kidde ones have been replaced at the housing units I work at. Have to install a new smoke circuit for one of my generator customers and going with BRK.

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
Lots of callbacks with kidde lately. Seems the battery backup units like a name brand fresh battery, not the junk they come with.

Quite a few reacting to "high" humidity as well.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Not a lot of choice here, supplier sells kiddie.
Haven't had a lot of trouble. Other than HO has to do monthly test or the unit will switch over to battery power and run battery's dead and start beeping. I learned that the hard way!
I didn't see that on the info sheet .
Now I tell them to change batteries and test them first before I go on call

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
frankft said:
I had over 50% failure rate with Kidde Smokes/CO2 detectors. I've had no problems since switching to BRK. We are not the only contractor in the area that has issues with Kidde. one supply house said a contractor brought back a 50 gallon drum full of Kidde detectors that had recently been installed on a large project.
Wow 50 % failure , I would change to. That's ridiculous. Did you contact the company?

·
Can't Remember
10,428 Posts
I have put in a couple of the Nest ones but they haven't been in long enough to know whether they are worth the bucks.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Haven't had any huge problems with any of the major brands. I've had a couple bum one's here and there from all of them. Locally, I get Kidde easily, so that's what I tend to use. It's nice to get a failed smoke detector call and be reasonably assured what brand I installed there so I can make sure I have one along on the truck. I try to make it a point to tell people to use a good, major brand battery and resist the urge to buy the dozen-pack or 9 volts from the dollar store.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow 50 % failure , I would change to. That's ridiculous. Did you contact the company?
The supply house brought in a rep, who stated they didn't have a problem. Then later asked a contractor that had been in business for over 20 years, if they had been installed properly:eek: Kidde has been a major problem in this area.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
frankft said:
The supply house brought in a rep, who stated they didn't have a problem. Then later asked a contractor that had been in business for over 20 years, if they had been installed properly:eek: Kidde has been a major problem in this area.
Installed properly? WTF is it rocket science !
Nice blame the contractor that will get you lots of repeat business

1 - 20 of 23 Posts