Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
5,612 Posts
Anyone know how much does a bedroom ceiling have to rise in a vaulted ceiling to require the smoke detector be located in the vaulted part, and not at the lower height of the ceiling?
Going strictly by memory, smoke detectors ( and by extrapolation, smoke alarms) can be mounted on the wall, 1 foot down from the ceiling.
Therefore, if the vault was more than a foot rise, you would have to put the smoke in the vaulted area.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have manufacturer literature yet, but I'll look into Kidde, thats what I usually put up. If it has to go in the vaulted ceiling part, I'll probably do those square low profile smokies.. customer still isn't going to be happy.

Looks impressive and slim, but it's still a big old plastic piece of crap up on their fancy expensive vaulted ceiling.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,612 Posts
I don't have manufacturer literature yet, but I'll look into Kidde, thats what I usually put up. If it has to go in the vaulted ceiling part, I'll probably do those square low profile smokies.. customer still isn't going to be happy.

Looks impressive and slim, but it's still a big old plastic piece of crap up on their fancy expensive vaulted ceiling.

They look very nice, but you HAVE to use a deep box. We had problems with getting them to sit properly when there were two 3 wires in the oct.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look very nice, but you HAVE to use a deep box. We had problems with getting them to sit properly when there were two 3 wires in the oct.
Good advice, you think a standard plastic octagon wouldn't be deep enough?

Heres pics, every bedroom in the entire house has these vaulted ceilings. It's going to look great, LED strip lighting along the bottom edge of the vaulted part. Customer is not going to be happy about smoke detectors up there though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.