Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service call this afternoon coming up. Customer claims he now has eight recently installed Kidde 120 volt interconnected photoelectric smokes with battery backup. These were installed in February by another electrician to replace his existing smokes which would intermittently alarm (every two months or so). Now he has had the same issue (alarmed last night in the middle of the night) with the new ones. I'm thinking either he has some loose connection in the wiring somwhere which drops out power temporarily or there is actually, or possibly a CO detector that is also interconnected and is actually sensing CO or needs cleaning. Or, that there is a unit too close to a supply/return duct, shower area, etc. Any ideas beyond this? He just paid $800 to have the (8) smokes replaced in February.:001_huh: I have not run into this issue before, just the beeping issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Service call this afternoon coming up. Customer claims he now has eight recently installed Kidde 120 volt interconnected photoelectric smokes with battery backup. These were installed in February by another electrician to replace his existing smokes which would intermittently alarm (every two months or so). Now he has had the same issue (alarmed last night in the middle of the night) with the new ones. I'm thinking either he has some loose connection in the wiring somwhere which drops out power temporarily or there is actually, or possibly a CO detector that is also interconnected and is actually sensing CO or needs cleaning. Or, that there is a unit too close to a supply/return duct, shower area, etc. Any ideas beyond this? He just paid $800 to have the (8) smokes replaced in February.:001_huh: I have not run into this issue before, just the beeping issue.
Buy a package of 9 volt batteries and replace everyone and press test button on every one. Should be good... Those batteries could have been in them boxes for years before he installed the smoke/carb. Ive had this issue before. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,724 Posts
Happens here all the time. I tell customers to close the windows and the problem goes away. Why? Tropics. Heavy dew point at 2:00 am. Ionization detectors do not like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Answer found - I think

He had all the smokes down. Checked all batteries,all OK. Used compressed air (type you use for computer keyboards etc) to blow out sensor openings as per Kidde tech rep. On the third or fourth smoke, a little spider came flying out. Kidde told me this is the # 1 reason for nuiscance alarms. so, I believe this is all the problem was and why it has been so intermittent (every couple months or so). while I was reinstalling the smokes, I checked all wiring harness makeups and found most to be marginal, so I re-did these with actual twisting of the conductors before splicing in the leads from the smokes. So, unless I re-post differently, that was it, a .001" spider took up residence by the sensor. :notworthy:

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
He had all the smokes down. Checked all batteries,all OK. Used compressed air (type you use for computer keyboards etc) to blow out sensor openings as per Kidde tech rep. On the third or fourth smoke, a little spider came flying out. Kidde told me this is the # 1 reason for nuiscance alarms. so, I believe this is all the problem was and why it has been so intermittent (every couple months or so). while I was reinstalling the smokes, I checked all wiring harness makeups and found most to be marginal, so I re-did these with actual twisting of the conductors before splicing in the leads from the smokes. So, unless I re-post differently, that was it, a .001" spider took up residence by the sensor. :notworthy:
How long have the smokes been in operation? There is a definite time limit, then they should be replaced.

I know of some F A systems, that are old, and should have been replaced.
The detectors have been painted over a few times.

It has been suggested to the building owners, to have the system verified.

They maintain they can't justify the cost. I M O the insurance companies should be looking into this,and the Fire Dept. too.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
I'd pull each on out and check the connections at the wire nuts.

Replace the batteries along the way, and take a strong vac to each to pull out any dust that may have settled inside. (Is the family a bunch of heavy smokers?)

If it continues, I'd just replace them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.