Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a project that I been working on for a few weeks now: a new single family two story house. Everything is going well with the exception of the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Today I spent a great deal of time researching for ordinance and codes for single dwelling units and residential smoke detectors codes and the requirements for the City of Chicago, but I did not find any conclusive information on what i was looking for.
(I do know that they are required to be installed in every floor and in the upper ceiling in stairs and within 15 feet from all sleeping areas.) What i am trying to find out is:

Are smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors in a new construction residential dwelling building required to be interconnected in the city of Chicago?

I appreciate your answers !! Thanks

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I have a project that I been working on for a few weeks now: a new single family two story house. Everything is going well with the exception of the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Today I spent a great deal of time researching for ordinance and codes for single dwelling units and residential smoke detectors codes and the requirements for the City of Chicago, but I did not find any conclusive information on what i was looking for.
(I do know that they are required to be installed in every floor and in the upper ceiling in stairs and within 15 feet from all sleeping areas.) What i am trying to find out is:

Are smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors in a new construction residential dwelling building required to be interconnected in the city of Chicago?

I appreciate your answers !! Thanks
Bump!

·
village idiot
329 Posts
Did you check building codes? Here in WI smoke detectors fall into building codes, not electrical codes.

And for the rather small difference in cost between interconnected and individual, I would just interconnect them and be done with it. What's the cost of your "great deal of time" vs one more wire and interconnect smokes? Odds are you already exceeded the difference in time spent looking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.