Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what h2s and water(weeping i to masonry walls can do!

Ground wire screw had rotted off rcpt completely and box was grnded thru rcpt, so no breaker trip. Still not sure why gfi brkr didn't trip

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
That's just nasty. :001_huh: The smoke came from bad connections so I wouldn't expect a gfi or regular breaker to trip. There was still the correct balance of current on the hot and neutral.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
So now what do you do? Drill and tap new holes, WR receptacle and lots of anti seize?
I've fought that battle. I recently got to see some WR, caulked, gasketed, No-ox'd receptacles I installed in a similar environment a couple years ago, and several of them had still smoked.

Electrical equipment just doesn't play well with water.

·
13,020 Posts
I've fought that battle. I recently got to see some WR, caulked, gasketed, No-ox'd receptacles I installed in a similar environment a couple years ago, and several of them had still smoked.

Electrical equipment just doesn't play well with water.
Especially not water containing dissolved minerals and electrolytes and so forth!

·
Can't Remember
10,140 Posts
So what do you do in this situation? I know if I need to get back into a metal enclosure, I put some sort of goo on the threads. In this case, I wonder if it's best to abandon that location?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was able to get 6/32 out and tapped to 8/32, i put ss screws in and a dab of never sieze on it. As for rcpt, just some 33+ as im not gonna stop the water or the h2s, tested gfi and it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts