Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was waiting at a red light last night, when I idly glanced to my left. :eek: Laughed, and grabbed for my camera. I wonder what the people behind me thought of me leaning out my window taking pictures of this:laughing:

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Oh, brother. ENT isn't even suitable for any electrical wiring, in my opinion. Let alone, exposed outdoors.

Why, do you suppose, they needed a buck-boost transformer for a traffic signal?

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a sign. What's in those boxes, who knows?

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This location used to be a drive-in theater. When it was changed to a big box store, They moved, and reused the original sign.

God, I haven't thought of that drive-in for years! Got a few memories there:whistling2:

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
ok, but how do you know that? i'm seriously curious. looking at that picture, i couldn't tell you what kind of transformer it is...what tipped you off?
It's an ACME, and they don't make many regular transformers.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It's an ACME, and they don't make many regular transformers.
Have to disagree, hooked up quite a few Acme dry type distribution xformers. I have to agree it would be pretty tough to say thats a buck boost without looking at the nameplate. In fact, I'm not sure it's an Acme. I tried to enlarge it, but I don't know how to work my photo editing software. Also, look at section 1 of the Acme catalog to see their selection of dry type xformers. Pretty comprehensive.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Forgot to add what I originally wanted to say...Around here, they use ENT to protect fuel lines from the oil tank to the boiler in residences. They just lay it on the floor and run copper tubing through it. Even though I'm sure it's not listed for that use, IMO thats a better than running wire in it!

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why, do you suppose, they needed a buck-boost transformer for a traffic signal?
Marc, you win the prize!! 277v to 240v, with primary taps down to 246v. I would assume for voltage drop-has to be several hundred feet from the sign to the store!
And your prize is......

A no-expenses paid trip here to Catonsville to repair it at your own expense!!:laughing: :whistling2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.