Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you guys switch to snow tires in the winter time and do they sell work trucks with 4wd?? I notice a lot of the trucks use are rear wheel and they aren't great in snow...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Yes, but it depends where you live. I can't function without winters on my truck. RWD is not be best in the winter because there is no weight over the rears.

If you get the odd bit of snow I'm sure all seasons will do, just put some sandbags over the back wheels.

·
Estwing magic
26,316 Posts
A combination of weight and snow tires helps a lot. When I had a van I put a Greenlee box in the back and filled it with heavy sh!t. Worked well.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
......do they sell work trucks with 4wd??....
No. They only sell Soccer Mom and Tough Beer-Drinking Guy 4WD trucks.

But you CAN convert them to 4WD work trucks. Here's how: Buy a 4WD truck. Drive it to and from work.

Wala! 4WD work truck!

·
Registered
14,460 Posts
You can get 4x4 vans. I see them in teleco service from time to time.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Seen those old Safari or whatever they're called with 4x4.. lotta data/security guys use those.

Vans just suck in the winter.. 4x4 helps to get you rolling fast enough so you can crash into something.

·
Senior Moment
7,881 Posts
I have studded snows front and back on my two wheel drive work van.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Four snows, studded if possible/permitted, is all you need. If you can't get a loaded van moving with 2WD, stay the F home.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Quigly, an extra $7.5 k on your next Ford

Attachments

·
Can't Remember
10,139 Posts
Been running Michelin LTX M/S tires all season. Vast improvement over what came with it. Doesn't do too bad. Part of the van thing is knowing where and when not to go.

·
Estwing magic
26,316 Posts
Quigly, an extra $7.5 k on your next Ford
And you still have about 8" of ground clearance. Not worth the money.

Face it, the only time you REALLY need 4WD is if you're working in the middle of nowhere and you run the risk of getting bogged down in mud or snow. You're not going anywhere if you're trying to push axles through that crud. If you're driving around town where they plow the snow every once in awhile, a weighted down 2WD van with snow tires is all you need. If you think you need 4WD driving around town then you need to learn how to drive in those conditions. Ever notice that most of the vehicles in the ditch are 4WD and AWD? It's because those guys don't know how to drive in the first place. They have a false sense of security.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
A combination of weight and snow tires helps a lot. When I had a van I put a Greenlee box in the back and filled it with heavy sh!t. Worked well.
Agreed. All season tires and a couple extra reels of service wire for weight. Never had a problem.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I would definitely get snow tires on a van. They will probably cost about $1500 for the whole truck but well worth it.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
We always run the studded snows on the service van. Its 2wd...never leaves the town/city roads and highways and has lots of weight in it. The guys never have an issue.

I never know where I have to take my truck or what the site conditions may be like so I have studded mud terrains on my 4wd duramax diesel truck.

BTW.....that truck is for sale:jester: I want a new Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts