Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came home to a burning smell in the room, found out the neutral bar wires are melted together and lights in the house are way brighter!!!! I'm renting the house so I never rewired it since the owner done it all his self (blacks as grounds, double pole breakers with one wire on it, yea you get the point). Looks like tomorrow will be a fun day at my house!!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
 

·
animal lover /rat bastard
Joined
·
13,543 Posts
ain't no trying to it. it's not your problem, it's his. in fact, it might be poco's problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, yea some of the neutrals came loss causing a spark there, some reason the wife turned on the washer and all of a sudden the power got really bright!!!! Burnt on tv up. I rewired it at the panal to make sure the wires would no touch and now all seems good. No burning smell or sparks! I've been out of electrical for a little while with other work (economy) and I don't have a lot of exp in trouble shooting. Many new wiring. I hope that's all it is!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
If you have a burnt/loose neutral on a multi-wire branch or the whole house, not only would some lights get bright, others would dim. This is a classic floating neutral problem. The center tap of the POCO's transformer is no longer at zero potential.

TWN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
If the house were properly grounded to the water pipe, the POCO connections may not matter. I had one that had the neutral line severed on the service drop and nobody noticed. Maybe for a couple of years. The ground found its way through the water line, to the neighbor's house, and out through their electric service back to the transformer.
 

·
Mad as Hell Member
Joined
·
2,935 Posts
If the house were properly grounded to the water pipe, the POCO connections may not matter. I had one that had the neutral line severed on the service drop and nobody noticed. Maybe for a couple of years. The ground found its way through the water line, to the neighbor's house, and out through their electric service back to the transformer.
Incorrect.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top