Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To give some background on the story i am telling.
As most here know I was a Safety Trainer for a small contractor in central Florida before I became the South East Region Training Manager for a Large Electrical Contractor.

In late 06-early 07 we had a helper who was working in our street lighting division who came in contact with 277v in a hand hole. It was late in the day, he could not get the gel cap closed so he took off his class II gloves and grabbed the gel cap, the injury was a 3rd degree burn to his hand. He was already given OSHA Electrical, extensive NFPA70 E, and various other classes on the hazards yet in a moment he forgot all of that in a rush to go home and was injured. After the injury I gave him all of the electrical safety training again to ensure he understood, he assured me that he would never again put his safety in question.
I left that company in Sept. and keep track of the guys I have trained, I heard he had also left to work for a sign company. Yesterday I got an e-mail from my old Safety Director.

Friday, February 01, 2008 12:56:48 AM
The Medical Examiner’s Office is now trying to figure out what happened to a workman who was found dead at an Ormond Beach Lowe’s.
Investigators said (name Removed), 20, of Kissimmee was working in an elevated bucket on a light pole Thursday in the parking lot of the store when he suddenly slumped over.
A worker called out to him, but received no response.
He was taken to Florida Hospital Ormond Memorial where he was later pronounced dead.
At this point, the cause of death is unknown.

It has been determined that he was electrocuted. I do not know specifics.
I spend most of yesterday questioning myself, blaming myself, for this as I was his trainer. I felt I had failed him and his family. Then As I went thru everything I had taught him I realized I had not failed him, HE had failed me, by not following what he had been taught.

It is easy to say you have a safety program but unless ALL of your employee's are following the program 100% the it will not be 100% effective.
Remind your guys to be safe, at work and at home, not following simple rules can be deadly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Goes back to "you can lead a horse to water"

I don't blame myself, He failed me by saying he would never work unsafe again, yet he did.
I am now using this incident as a learning tool for all future classes. Helps to bring realism to the subject when dealing with veterans of the trade as well as the green ones.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
At 20 years old, many guys think nothing will hurt or kill them. :(

At 39, and after a couple of close calls, I know better.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have this one rule that I always stick too.

You are your own health & safety guy, responsible for yourself & the safety of others around you &/or anybody that might get hurt/killed as a result of your actions.

As said before, you are not to blame, he failed himself & others around him.
Sad but true.

·
DGFVT
2,532 Posts
I hope that in your training you are graphic. If someone is running to the bathroom during your presentation…you know that you got your point across. You need to set a psychologically reference point of “if you don’t follow the rules this will happen to you”.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I hope that in your training you are graphic.
If you want graphic get a hold of the film "I Felt Comfortable" It's about a lineworker who came in contact with 7200 VAC because he was "comfortable" in his work environment, and took a shortcut. It did not cost him his life, but it did cost him and arm and a leg...literally, and a very long and painful recovery. There are some pretty graphic images of his recovery, if that doesn't drive the point home nothing will.

Complacency is our worst enemy, as soon as you get too comfortable you will get careless, and that is when costly accidents happen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Complacency is our worst enemy, as soon as you get too comfortable you will get careless, and that is when costly accidents happen.
I always tell myself "as long as I am really careful and move slowly I am good". Well **** happens and **** is going to happen to me one day unless I smarten up and quite doing dangerous things just to "get it done".

Thanks for the post, I really need to keep this in my head every day.

·
Golden Controls
616 Posts
as someone who is just 21 years old, I have caught myself thinking I'm bullet proof more than once, especially now in the last year I've been within 1/16" of death because of my own stupidity, ok well twice my fault once not mine but thats another story all together.

This does go to show you though, no matter how much you teach someone they have to learn for themselves and alot of times they learn way too late.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I feel very bad about what happened. In no way should you blame yourself.

I was very annoyed at a recent experience of mine. 4 of us went to a short call at a PSE&G switch yard in Newark,NJ. We were required to attend and sign off that we attended a 2 hour safety meeting. The shop (EII) handed out our paperwork to fill out as a power point slide show was started. I ignored the paperwork and paid attention to the presentation as I was seeing some new information. Half way thru I was told I needed to fill out the paperwork now (about 12 pages). After the presentation was over they asked if there were any questions. Ofcourse I asked if anything important was presented while I was filling out my papers. They simply answeared no.

They repeatedly stressed the importance of safety with words and contridict themselves with actions. The job was a easy gig but I am glad it was only 4 days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.