Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so frustrated with my employees. Takes them twice as long to complete a job as me and my apprentice, with half the brains (that's a compliment) constantly asking how to do something then when I explain they almost don't believe me.

I'm in the Toronto area, is there any website I can find electricians? I seem to only be able to find 1-3 year apprentices which I don't have time to train, I'm growing fast and need "talented" electricians and I'm will to pay them very well if they can handle their own ****. Seems like everyone is a robot and needs step by step instructions to get a task done properly and it's take way too long.

Any advise where to find decent electricians or advise on how you bring your employees up to your standards?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Any advise [snips] on how you bring your employees up to your standards?
Sure,

There are 2 reasons that an employee is not meeting my expectations

1) I didn't supply them with what they need (tools materials, instruction etc...)

2) they don't want to.

Fire anyone in column 2, Make sure anyone in column 1 has what they need.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
Sure,

There are 2 reasons that an employee is not meeting my expectations

1) I didn't supply them with what they need (tools materials, instruction etc...)

2) they don't want to.

3) I'm paying and treating them poorly

Fire anyone in column 2, Make sure anyone in column 1 has what they need. Give # 3 raises

fixed it for ya

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rewire said:
Your pay scale is obviously not attracting the employees with the skill level you want.
I pay my third year apprentice 20$ an hour and my 5th year 23$ an hour (my 5th year is more like a first year with his outdated knowledge.
I pay my 1st year apprentice 17$ an hour and he is my best employee by far! Great worker and learns fast.

I have offered up to 35$ an hour for guys that can manage a lead there own van and job. None even attempt the challenge.
Even people I interview are very entitled. Expecting around 30$ an hour and they have no knowledge on code or work ethic to make em worth that.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I say this as someone who spent a chunk of time as a supervisor: Any failure in business is a failure of management.

If you're really finding that all your guys are consistently failing, then the problem may not be with the guys.

And even if it is actually a problem with the guys, then it's still a management problem because there's something that's not being done correctly when vetting their qualifications and experience before giving them responsibility. And that thing may be as simple as you're not firing people quickly enough when you realize they aren't up to the challenge. Everyone has the standard "probationary period" but it seems like a lot of places are really afraid to use it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I pay my third year apprentice 20$ an hour and my 5th year 23$ an hour (my 5th year is more like a first year with his outdated knowledge.
I pay my 1st year apprentice 17$ an hour and he is my best employee by far! Great worker and learns fast.

I have offered up to 35$ an hour for guys that can manage a lead there own van and job. None even attempt the challenge.
Even people I interview are very entitled. Expecting around 30$ an hour and they have no knowledge on code or work ethic to make em worth that.
Sounds like you have a lot of overpaid apprentices. How many people do you interview before you hire?

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Built2ride said:
I'm betting your an employee since that's what you decide to comment on..

Oh boy. Another dude who thinks because he owns the business he has reached a higher level of being. I am betting YOU are 100% of the problem. Owning the shop is a big responsibility and hard work, however, you aren't better than your employees. Without them you don't have a business. You have a one man shop installing under cabinet lighting in your neighbors house. Most the time business owners are in way over their head, they don't really know the business side, or don't know how to manage and hire employees. You're probably the latter.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I'm so frustrated with my employees. Takes them twice as long to complete a job as me and my apprentice, with half the brains (that's a compliment) constantly asking how to do something then when I explain they almost don't believe me.

I'm in the Toronto area, is there any website I can find electricians? I seem to only be able to find 1-3 year apprentices which I don't have time to train, I'm growing fast and need "talented" electricians and I'm will to pay them very well if they can handle their own ****. Seems like everyone is a robot and needs step by step instructions to get a task done properly and it's take way too long.

Any advise where to find decent electricians or advise on how you bring your employees up to your standards?
It's "incompetent" and "advice" :laughing::laughing:

The labor problem is only going to get worse in my honest opinion. Stinks!

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Flipping this the other way, ah... purely hypothetically :whistling2: .... whaddya do when your boss is incompetent?
Uhhhh.......same as I did. Buy the business.:laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, my ex-boss turned into business partner...soon to be retired, is a pretty good guy and ran things fairly well. He was just a little too much of a "nice guy" and was always doing favors. Throwing away the profit is what I called it.

·
13,020 Posts
Uhhhh.......same as I did. Buy the business.:laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, my ex-boss turned into business partner...soon to be retired, is a pretty good guy and ran things fairly well. He was just a little too much of a "nice guy" and was always doing favors. Throwing away the profit is what I called it.
Yep we're not running a frickin charity.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.