Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just installed a customer supplied "Nest" thermostat that will talk to an iPhone and seeing RF light sockets that talk to each other, I'm thinking that SmartHome technology is rapidly becoming DIY.

There's little extra cash to be made in LED upgrades.

I'm still making seventy five bucks a pop installing USB receptacles on reno jobs but that's no road to riches.

So what's trending, something that's a good upsell to the fat wallet crowd?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Do you ever come to Vancouver? I can show you some things.

I seriously think a few people and a few companies are going to make some serious, serious cash over the next 5-10 years. Everyone wants to integrate everything.. small businesses, large businesses, offices, homes, restaurants.. even the impaired, it's a great tool to help those who can't use typical controls and platforms.

Electronics have finally gotten so powerful and so cheap, that off the shelf technologies with some programming can create an amazing system.. that will work (finally!), that will be easily upgradable and that will make professionals money.

Yeah it's big.

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's on! PM me in August and we'll meet up.. the women can go do women things.

My handle is FrunkSlammer because my goal is to one day work out of the frunk of a Tesla. It's gonna happen!

That looks big enough!
I dunno. How's it gonna look with a Rocket Box on top? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
When I used to work for a custom home contractor, the customers loved Lutron lighting control systems. HomeWorks QS. It controlled lighting, windowshades and HVAC. We weren't a Lutron certified electrical contractor so we could only install the gear, so another company had to be brought in to program it. That guy definitely made dollars.

·
332 Posts
Something to make some quick and easy money is to sell whole home surge suppression. When you look it up on the Internet, the costs show waaaayyy more than what I actually buy it for. Everyone has flat screen TVs that aren't plugged in to surge protectors. Easy up sell. Quick install. Great markup before you add in cost of install.

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something to make some quick and easy money is to sell whole home surge suppression. When you look it up on the Internet, the costs show waaaayyy more than what I actually buy it for. Everyone has flat screen TVs that aren't plugged in to surge protectors. Easy up sell. Quick install. Great markup before you add in cost of install.
I like that idea :)

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Backup generators are big here due to the risk of hurricanes. Easy upsell to someone with deep pockets

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk
Backyard neighbor a few doors down had a generac installed just in time for Hurricane Sandy. First tree to come down landed right on it and crushed it like a tin can.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I could use a little 'high end' , if only for morale

Lately i've been a slum sparky. :( Keeps the lights on, but like a friend who worked at the rat lab told me, 'after a while, you start to smell like a rat, look like a rat, think like a rat......." :001_huh::rolleyes::eek::laughing:

~CS~

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Wont need one!

Just need a macbook, iPad, a few tools and material shipped to the job site! Oh and maybe a comfy chair to sit on at the job site... but I could put that in the trunk. :laughing:

Some head to head race videos:

Tesla Model S Performance vs Dodge Viper SRT10 Drag Racing 1/4 Mile

2013 Tesla Model S P85 vs 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Z51 Drag Racing 1/4 Mile Heads up

Tesla Model S Performance 85 vs 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Race
It's nice to see the Vette still stands a chance against electricity. On the other hand I can't believe an internal combustion engine is even coming close to the punch of DC. That was cool.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.