Electrician Talk banner

Socket in Floor Box

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Shockdoc 
#1 ·
Sorry no pic for now.

House built in 30's. Lot's of K&T in it. One room had a floor box with brass cover. When you flip open cover is a med base socket base. Does anyone know what they put into it? and don't say a bulb.

Obviously, it is switched but I can't see putting a direct bulb in socket. Anyone have any pics of this?

#8 ·
Kids

I bet kids love it.

I wonder if I should glue it shut, or suggest to take it out of floor and repair single gang hole. I have no clue where it's coming from and it's a K&T ratsnest. I doubt I can isolate it since he is leaving alot of knob and tube in place.

#12 ·
By building code over a certain % requires 100% REWIRE not the electrical code but building code. It is probably in every state. Here in Florida GC'S don't even know that or they don't say anything and counties never catch it. But it could help to know that, there is an artical #. I have turn down jobs because of this. Either everything or multiple little jobs.

#13 ·
Not in Ohio

Not here. I know the hard way. I had to fight it. I can't remember details,but, I just remember meeting the head inspector and using the terminology "Total" rewire. I said total = 100% right. So, basically we left 1 old dryer wire (not even in use anymore) and rewired the whole place. It got us out bringing everything else up to code from receptacles every 12 ft, smokes, everything.

I thought it was in NEC?? Right or Wrong?

#14 ·
In the building codes a complete rewire is required after a certain % of the wiring is replaced. In Florida I thinks its 50% it use to be 30%. So if the inspector figure you did more than that % of rewiring in that home/business he could require the entire house/bsiness to be rewired do to the building code, which supercedes the electrical code. There is no place that I know of that states that in the electrical code in the past 20 years.

#16 ·
50% is a reasonable rule of thumb to follow, but, the last remodel I did in Orange County, the inspector told me that they (Orange County) did not go by the 50% rule, it was up to the AHJ when you had to bring it all up to code.

Anytime I get near 50%, or if there are multiple obvious violations, I point them out verbally, on the estimate, and state that any repairs to existing electrical required by AHJ are not included.

#15 ·
Info

That's good info for when I travel to other states. I wonder if it's an Ohio thing or just the county I was in. It was a pretty strict county. He sent in 4 different inspectors and the last one just said where is the 1 circuit. He saw it then gave me a green tag. I guess I (really the owner) lucked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.