Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out a few days ago Changing out a few motors for exhaust fans for a couple healthcare facilities. I had the need for a socket set, As my nut drivers, and wrenches couldn't do the job for one reason or another. I have nearly 4 bags of Tools 2 Veto XLL's,1 small bag(Telecom crap), meters. I want to keep my tools down as much as possible, but with the constant switch between a service truck and a Boom truck. The main tools i keep on me is a 10 in 1, Wire strippers, and my Linesmen Pliers. I'm curious as to what Socket sets people carry with them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
i have a set of 'duofit', dont remember where i got them, but i have yet to find something they dont work on! they are a combination sae-metric:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I bought something like this this awhile back.

Craftsman 19pc Universal Max Axess Socket and Ratchet Set, 3/8” Drive, it also had a 1/4" also and matching sets.

Something like this Sears

Sorry to lazy to go sort the garage...

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I do industrial service almost exclusively, so I need a LOT of tools. In my daily toolbox I keep a 3/8 set of 5/16 to 3/4, both shallow and deep and a metric set 6 mm to 19 mm. In the van I have a 1/4 inch set, SAE and metric; a 1/2 inch set to 1 1/4 SAE and metric to 30 mm. I don't know how you function without a socket set? I also have wrenches in the same sizes.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I do industrial service almost exclusively, so I need a LOT of tools. In my daily toolbox I keep a 3/8 set of 5/16 to 3/4, both shallow and deep and a metric set 6 mm to 19 mm. In the van I have a 1/4 inch set, SAE and metric; a 1/2 inch set to 1 1/4 SAE and metric to 30 mm. I don't know how you function without a socket set? I also have wrenches in the same sizes.
You can do a lot with ratcheting combination wrenches, channel locks, and nut drivers :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I used to do a lot more than just electrical work. I carried socket sets in both SAE and Metric, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" (all had deep and standard sockets plus multiple extension sizes). I also carried combination wrenches in both SAE and Metric.

I also carried (1) 36" aluminium pipe wrench, (2) 24" steel offset pipe wrenches, (2) 18" steel offset pipe wrenches, (1) channellock 480, (1) channellock 460, (2) channellock 440's, strap wrench, chain wrench, (2) 12" adjustable wrenches, (1) 14" steel pipe wrench, (1) 8" steel pipe wrench.

A lot of that stuff just sits in my outbuilding now that I'm just doing electrical work.

Those 480's came in handy today when I was helping my son change the water pump on his car (hold the pulley while breaking the bolts loose). I really love the name, "Big AZZ" :laughing:

Reactions: HARRY304E

·
Registered
287 Posts
In my tool bag with me: 3/8 drive flex head ratchet which can extend to 15" long and a rack of 3/8 to 13/16 sockets. Also a compact 3/8 drive ratchet and extension which is used solely for racking out breakers. Also carry a wrench roll bag with set of combination wrenches and ratcheting flex wrenches both 5/16 to 3/4. In the truck I have a separate bag that comes out as needed and for big jobs: 41pc socket set with 1/4 drive and 3/8 drive. 3/8 and 1/4 drive extensions wobble, straight, all sorts of different lengths. 1/4 drive metric deep sockets, 3/8 drive deep metric sockets. Then all my metric wrenches and stubby wrenches.

Myself I don't use nut drivers very often. I started out in the game working with my father doing heavy equipment service, never used them. They have their place but when it comes to larger than 1/4" hardware my preference is some kind of wrench or ratchet. The closest thing I have to a nut driver is a little 1/4 drive handle that accepts sockets, the shaft can extend out 12", bought it exclusively for reaching way in and removing 10mm bolts in magnum ds draw out breaker enclosures.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anymore, I only buy Williams, Proto, and Wright for sockets and ratchets.

The quality might be overkill, but I like overkill. :thumbsup:

I have some Craftsman for around the house and some Kobalt for loaners.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.